Hair Algae

H

hlp

I have heard that CC has a lot of benefits as it dissolves over time providing nutrients to corals and invert life. True/False/Comments?

tagg

Originally posted by HLP
I have heard that CC has a lot of benefits as it dissolves over time providing nutrients to corals and invert life. True/False/Comments?

I think that it would help maintain calcium levels and keep the pH up in the 8'ish range if you have low pH.....other than that, I'm not too sure.
Over-all....more downfalls with CC

dburr

I had green hair algae and now where that was it seem to be brown almost fuzzy stuff. Is this a whole other algae or is this just the dead green hair algae??
This is dead gren hair.:yes: thats good. Try a tooth brush(a clean one) and gently srub it off. It would be great to have it straped to a hose. Srub and suck at the same time.:yes:
It will dissolve, but it would take years. The amount going back into the water colume would be so small it would never keep up with tank demands. Unless you had all softies and no coraline. Mostly it will trap scum and dirty your water unless vacummed weekly.
I agree with up the circulation, especially surface break. That will give you more gas exchange. the cyno can be syphoned off with a hose pretty easily.