hair algae

ems freak

i have a BAAAD hair algae prob right now. I cut down the amount of time the lights are on and it seems to have slowed down but its still growing like weeds!!! Right now in my tank i have a left arm hermit, 2 scarlet hermits, 3 turbo snails 3 nars snails.
I dont really want to add another fish in my tank. Does anyone know wut else i can maybe get to eat this algae!!?! I was looking at a emerald crab but i wasnt sure if it will get along with the other hermits. I also have a blood shrimp, pistol shrimp, clown fish, chromis and a watchmen goby. Would the emerlad crab get along with this group???? Or is there another invert i can add to get rid of this algae prob??!?! thanks for the help..
the tank is a est. tank. 24 gal nano

jedi

Hair algea is a good indicator of a high phosphate problem.
A rabbit fish eats that stuff like crazy. And an emerald will do the same. Try some margaritas, and turbos also.
That said, you should look into the "cause" of the problem. Most people,(myself included) overfeed, even thogh we think we don't.
what type of filtration does the tank have, and what are your parameters?
Jedi

pontius

I agree with jedi....the cause is as important as the solution. if you are using tap water, you should start using RO water to get phosphates down.
the emerald crab will get along with everything, but in my experience, the pencil urchin is the best animal to get rid of hair algae. but again, the cause of the problem needs to be addressed, or all the algae eating animals in the world won't help.

wrassecal

The emerald crab will get along fine but, it may or may not eat hair algae. Mine never did. You need to stop feeding the algae, get rid of the phosphates. Try a phosphate/silicate sponge (follow directions carefully) and do 20-25% water changes every couple of weeks. Use RO/DI water and scrub off as much of the hair algae as you can then siphon out before adding the aereated aged saltwater. It will take a couple of months but, just getting something hoping it will eat it won't prevent it from coming back. HTH

ems freak

all i use in my tank is RO.. i do a 10% water change about every week. i think my prob was my lights and feeding. until now i left the lights on for about 10-11 hours. i also recently switched to live brine and have been over feeding a bit. what supplements can be used to lower phos.??? until now all i use is live nitifying bacteria.

jedi

IMO...
Additives are not the way to go.
The phosphates do not pose a threat to the fish. I would recomend doing as others have suggested and begin by cleaning off the algea, then doing water changes more frequently to lower the phosphate level.
Lower your lighting to 8 hours a day, feed every other day.PERIOD. Let the fish forage for food throughout the tank and LR as they would in the wild on the "off" day.
A hungry fish is a healthy fish.

My emeralds love the stuff. you could also try a rabbit fish to help out with the problem they are voraciuos algea eaters.
If the hair algea is on the substrate, just scoop the top layer off and remove it.( if you have a deep enough bed).
Good Luck, be patient it will all level out...
Jedi

wrassecal

Do you have new lighting or old bulbs that need to be changed out? - if so lighting can be part of the problem. If not, then an extended lighing period will only "add" to the existing problem. Proper lighting will not "cause" hair algae. 8 - 10 hours a day is fair for a tank.
You only have a 24 gallon so I don't recommend adding any kind of fish and an emerald crab may not be able to sustain itself once the hair algae is gone.
Seachem makes a phosphate/silicate remover called Phosban which you put in your filter for a few days. They sell Seachem on this site.
Increase the volume of your water changes. If you are already using RO check your supply before you add it for phosphates, just in case (I don't know your source). Increasing the volume of your water changes will help you siphon out existing hair algae as well as helping you rid your tank of whatever is feeding the hair algae. Once you have gotten rid of the source, the hair algae will recede and not return.
Avoid overfeeding, no matter how much your fish beg
:)