Hair algae

kdrifter44

I had the problem with hair algae about 4 month ago. I bought a sea hare and it cleaned the whole tank up I gave that sea hare back to the store when I was done with it.
Then about a month ago the hair came back full force. This week I bought new filters for my R/0 unit and another sea hare.
My question is what causes the hair to grow? and how do I prevent it from never coming back?
I have a 37 tall with 2 damsels and a clownfish, 1 star fish, 5 turbo snails and 3-5 hermits.

socal57che

Green hair likes phosphates, certain spectrums of light (like sunlight), proteins and sometimes prefers low flow although it grows well on powerhead exhaust.
Reduce feeding if you overfeed. Some flake food contains phosphates from seaweed. Also adds to proteins in your water column.
What lights do you have? How old?
Do you do scheduled water changes?
Does sunlight hit your tank?
What are your phosphate test readings?

acrylic51

Have to agree with Socal57che, but checking Phosphates and getting a "0" reading what most people probably see from time to time is sorta misleading, since you can't test for inorganic phosphates, which is the source usually for the algae outbreak.....

D

dennis210

In order to get an "outbreak" of hair algae it has to get it's nutrients from somewhere.
So if you are using RO water it shouldn't be from there. The source is always from what we put into our systems and it is usually food. Try this, grab and empty test tube. Place 3 to 4 small pellets of food per fish into it. The amount seem tiny, but it is enough for them.
When I have been asked to come over and help out with algae problems I am always told "I don't over feed". So I say "show me". Usually I am shocked most folks feed their tank - not just their fish.

kdrifter44

I Cut Down Of The Amount Of Food And Cut Down To The Light
The Water Quality Looks Real Good
The Seahare Has Clean The Whole Tank Spotless What Can I Feed Him For He Dont Starve To Death?