"Hair Algae"

mblann1960

Someone told me that "Hair Algae" is not good. That it would spread and I would have big problems.
I have recently noticed some algae growing on the back of my glass. It's also on a few rocks. Is this a problem? I couldn't get a good picture of it. But it "flows" in the current.
Thanks,
Mark

A

alexmir

Yes, if you feed too much, use tap water, use water that has any phosphates in it, keep lights on too much, or have high nitrates, then it WILL spread and become a huge nusiance. I am having a problem in my tank with it, and it has been up for a year. It has been just the past 2 months. I am currently trying to get rid of it.
I would pull what you can off, make sure your not feeding too much, and use reverse osmosis distilled water.

mblann1960

Well, I use distilled water from the grocery store...I was told I could top my tank off with that. (30 gallon tank) Is that OK?
The tank is not near any windows, but my lights were maybe on too much.
I've cut down on that.
Anything else to try?
Thanks!

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by mblann1960
http:///forum/post/2592622
Well, I use distilled water from the grocery store...I was told I could top my tank off with that. (30 gallon tank) Is that OK?
The tank is not near any windows, but my lights were maybe on too much.
I've cut down on that.
Anything else to try?
Thanks!
Its fine to use distilled water from the store from what ive heard. You can cut down your light schedule to about 7-8 hours or so per day. What you can do is a take a toothbrush (make sure its new) and scrub your tank and live rock and let your filters suck it up. Or what you can also do is pull off as much as you can with your fingers and put it in a cup. Here is a good link on how to ged rid of the algae. Hope the mods dont block it. http://www.melevsreef.com/gha.html

pontius

just because water is distilled doesn't mean it's necessarily good to use. I have tested distilled water from WalMart where the phosphate was so high that it was even darker than the darkest reading on the test....much more phosphates than water coming straight out of my tap.
if you've got phosphates in your tank, test the water that you use BEFORE you've put it in the tank. if there's phosphates in the tank but not in the new water, then the reason for the phosphates in the tank is something you're doing (ie, overfeeding, too much livestock, too much lighting, bad lighting, etc etc). if the phosphate is in the tank because the water being used has phosphates in it already, then you should do something about the water being used. the best option of course is RO/DI water. second best is RO water. but distilled only is not necessarily better than plan ole tapwater imo.
also, what is your filtration? you just using live rock? a hang on back filter? a protein skimmer? a refugium? a combination of all or some of the above? I think a refugium is a good thing. allows you to grows macroalgae in a controlled space away from the display that feeds off the phosphate that the hair algae would otherwise be using.

tayl0124

Just to let you guys know. Most Grocery stores allow you to refill water jugs with their (pure?) water. In my experience that water is RO water, and often has uv sterilization. I know this as I work at a grocery store and that is what we have. The refills are usually cheaper than the gallon jugs too. And you also get to re-use your jugs, saving the earth a little at a time.

mblann1960

I have a emperor 400 filter, 30 gal tank. only 2 clowns, a few hermits and snails. Not much live rock right now. Not sure about the phosphates on my water. I don't have any test kits. Been having it tested at the LFS. On a good note, I can see red and purple coraline starting to show up. (guess that's what it's called, I'm new to this.)
Thanks for all the input and help!
Mark