hair algae

blowinsmoke

would like to get some ideas on the best way to get rid of hair algae. I have a 270 that was doing just fine, thin almost over night the algae was everywhere. its starting to choke out my corals and take over everything. I have pulled off as much as I can but in a 270 it hard to get all of it. any ideas would be great. I even did the lights out for 3 days and it didnt help.

nycbob

how long has the tank been up? ro or tap water? try to list as much info as possible, so we can pinpoint the cause.

blowinsmoke

the tank has been up for about a year. right now i am topping off with tap. I do have an RO, just need to get a couple parts for auto top off. 3 tangs 2 angels 2 clown 2 others. crabs, snails, shrimp. Not a very big bio load. Could it be as simple as getting the RO running? And if so will water changes be all thats needed to kill off the algae?

blowinsmoke

would water changes of about 25% and a sea hair or two help? After it starts to die off will I have to clean it off the rocks? I have also heard of a reef safe chem you can add to your tank that starves the algae, would anyone rec. this?