Hair Algae

nw2salt08

OK, so I'm picking up a 55gal tank that's already been setup next Friday and all the LR in the tank has hair algae on it. What's the best way to get rid of it?? It has fish in it already so I'll list what's inhabiting the tank.
1-lawnmower blenny
1-cleaner wrasse
1-purple chromis
2-green chromis
2-hermits
The tank has a HOB filter with two sponge and two carbon filters. Two koralia 3's, a heater and flourescent lighting.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

chris22582

You could try no lights for a couple days. Also do you know how old the bulbs are and what kind? What are the tank peramiters? Are you using RO/DI water or tap water?

yunabug

I got a Turbo snail and an Emerald crab today, and from what I can see, they are obliterating my hair algae. But I've heard it's kinda hit or miss with Emerald's. I just got lucky.

nw2salt08

The water they are using is RO/DI from an aquarium shop...not sure of the parameters...they didn't even know what I was really talking about....(good thing I'm getting it!!! lol), and not sure about the lights...just know they're flourescent. The age would be 6 months. The same amount of time the tank has been up. I'm picking it up on Friday btw. Going to bag the fish that's already in there separately for travel and going to my lfs to take in a sample and buy probably 35gallons of saltwater to do a major water change at that. Plans are to change out the light system to something better. Probably T5 VHO'S or MH's.... As far as I can tell, the lawnmower blenny is probably overwhelmed...they said he's been eating on the hair algae but it looks like he's barely making a dent in it. Let me know what you think about the plans....good idea or bad??

saltygerman

Originally Posted by Nw2Salt08
http:///forum/post/2805662
The water they are using is RO/DI from an aquarium shop...not sure of the parameters...they didn't even know what I was really talking about....(good thing I'm getting it!!! lol), and not sure about the lights...just know they're flourescent. The age would be 6 months. The same amount of time the tank has been up. I'm picking it up on Friday btw. Going to bag the fish that's already in there separately for travel and going to my lfs to take in a sample and buy probably 35gallons of saltwater to do a major water change at that. Plans are to change out the light system to something better. Probably T5 VHO'S or MH's.... As far as I can tell, the lawnmower blenny is probably overwhelmed...they said he's been eating on the hair algae but it looks like he's barely making a dent in it. Let me know what you think about the plans....good idea or bad??
My foxface eats algae nonstop!