Hair Algea?

I started my first saltwater tank in May 2008. It is 90 gallons. I have an overflow box to a 20 gallon sump with bio balls, macro algea, protein skimmer, and return pump. There is live sand and about 150lbs of live rock. The last couple of months there has been a terrible outbreak of hair algea. Any ideas?
I also have hermits and snails. Water parameters amm-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-10 phos-0 water changes-20% every 2 weeks ro water Red sea salt.

janastasio

Have you tried testing your ro water? Maybe filters in them need to be changed. How often are you feeding and what are you feeding? What is your lighting and how old are your bulbs? If your ro water is negative for phos, then test after you have added in your salt.

florida joe

how many fish do you have in your tank. you want to nip the hair alage in the bud even if it means Extreme measures

I am feeding frozen brine and flakes alternating, a small amount once day. My lights are T-5s ho 4 daylights 4 actinic and 4 leds which were new in May and are on a timer 8 hours a day.
I'm not sure how old my ro filters are, my dad gave it to me used. It is a Kent Maxxima. Would I need to replace all three filters or the one on the end that looks dirty?
Inhabitants are, three black and white clowns, ,green carpet anemone, 1 perc clown, royal gramma, domino damsel, blue damsel, 2 firefish goby, 2 green chromis, skunk cleaner shrimp, hawiian green shrimp, 100+gallon reef package from swf.com, 2 sss, scooter blenny, brain maze, orange carnation, open red brain, xenia, 2 maxima clams, a few mushroom polyps, 2 condi anemones

florida joe

Is the hair algae confined to you rocks or is in on your powerheads and return lines back to the DT as well as your overflows

silencio530

i had a small outbreak but once i added cheatomorpha <dont know how to word it
it all went away slowly ...i got rid of it and little strains are poping out already so im guessing the shetomorpha in the sump realy helps alot Oo and u have to have a light in it

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2904813
Is the hair algae confined to you rocks or is in on your powerheads and return lines back to the DT as well as your overflows
The algae is on the rocks as well as the powerheads and in the overflow box. not a drilled tank.

silverdak

hmm looks about the same as mine... I only have hair on the rocks tho, not the powerhead and stuff. I am thinking I am going to have to do chemical treatment and stuff if this crab doesnt take care of it...

todj2002

I would not go the chemical route. that is only a temp fix and may not be heathly for tank inhabitants. u need to get to the root of the prob. i agree with checking ur ro water and changing filters if needed. i finally got rid of all the nusiance algae in my tank after alot of work. i would physically remove all u can. scrub it off the rocks and use a net to scoop it out - get it all stirred up so it can be filtered out and clean ur filter (if u have any mechanical filtration) get rid of the bio balls. add chaeto to your sump and do water changes. i also recommend a algae scrubber, some people are for them and some not. i have one and would not get rid of it. hope this helps. good luck

silverdak

an algae scrubber?? what? lol I have heard of it but not enough to know what it is or how it works. I heard cheato help... but I dont have a place to put it. I have a stock Bio-cube... not too much space and I dont have the money to modify it too much. what would cause the algae? too many phosphates?

I do have chaeto and mineral mud in the center column of the sump. Maybe not enough? What are the downside to the bio balls? I tested for phosphate today. This is the first test above 0 now .25ppm. New filters are ordered for my ro but won't be here for a week. no mechanical filteration. How about Sea Gel?

silverdak

O and the chemical I am talking about is for spot treatment, like what you would do for aptaisa, put it in a syringe with the pumps off and inject it right at/in it. said it will keep it from coming back... I just dont know how I feel about treating it like that....

todj2002

Originally Posted by Nebraska Reef
http:///forum/post/2907381
Yeah I don't think that would work very well in this situation. Whats the downside of bio balls
Does anyone use Sea Gel?
there is contorversy as to wether bio ball are good or bad. if they are not cleaned reguarly though, the are nitrate producers. the algae is feeding off nitrates, phospates. also if ur ro unit is bunk then algae may also be feeding off silicates from ur tap water. the only filtration i have for my tank other than my scrubber is my skimmer in sump and a hob whisper. i just have it to filter out small particles and keep my water clear. it is very easy to get at and clean the filters twice a week.

todj2002

Originally Posted by SilverDak
http:///forum/post/2907239
an algae scrubber?? what? lol I have heard of it but not enough to know what it is or how it works. I heard cheato help... but I dont have a place to put it. I have a stock Bio-cube... not too much space and I dont have the money to modify it too much. what would cause the algae? too many phosphates?
search for info on the scrubber. there is a HUGE post on it started by - santa monica - not sure of that spelling, but there is so much info on it in this thread it will take u a week to read it all. many people have made one. it doesnt have to be anything high tech to make it work.