Hair algea?

beaslbob

Originally posted by Asbury030
How do i get rid of it?

All plant life needs nutrients, carbon dioxide and light. Eliminating any of those will eliminate the plant life. the best way is to eliminate the nutrients (nitrogens and/or phosphates). By establishing plant life you desire the uglies are starved. I would add macros or true marine plants until the hair is gone.

beaslbob

Well you could also use turbo snales. When I started my system I got 10 of those and they cleaned all my rocks off in a week. I also started having ph drops, white spots on fish and lost several fish until I added other plant life.

kage

What is all the spotty red algae that is on the tank walls?
I have to scrub about every 3 days or I lose control of it.

beaslbob

Originally posted by Kage
What is all the spotty red algae that is on the tank walls?
I have to scrub about every 3 days or I lose control of it.

hard to say. if hard a crusty probably coraline. if soft and slimy probably cyanobacteria. If the latter probably feeds off of phosphates. If coraline most consider that desirable just not on the glass.

leopard_babe

Beaslbob: Did you say that hair algea caused your fish to have white spots??? I have been fighting "ich" for about a week and a half. They look more like white spots then ich. But I am treating him for ich anyways. What exactally do you mean by marine plants? I have terrible hair algea. My cc star ate my clean up snails, and he never goes on the rock. I see my lawnmower blenny maybe twice a day. My scooter blenny keeps the sand spotless. Should I add some plants, and like what kind of plants?? This might answer some of my problems.
Thanks,
Leopard

beaslbob

Originally posted by Leopard_babe
Beaslbob: Did you say that hair algea caused your fish to have white spots??? I have been fighting "ich" for about a week and a half. They look more like white spots then ich. But I am treating him for ich anyways. What exactally do you mean by marine plants? I have terrible hair algea. My cc star ate my clean up snails, and he never goes on the rock. I see my lawnmower blenny maybe twice a day. My scooter blenny keeps the sand spotless. Should I add some plants, and like what kind of plants?? This might answer some of my problems.
Thanks,
Leopard

leopard: sorry I did not answer sooner. Been answering the flames on another thread. I did not mean that hair algae caused my fish to have white spots. But rather that the addition of plants controlled the hair algae and the fish were healthier. Actually, the lack of plant life including the hair appeared to be the problem. My snales had already controlled the hair and what happened was that fish would eventually develope white spots and start breathing heavily. I also noticed my ph dropped from 8.4 to 7.4 or less.
From this board I now realize the ph drop was probably caused by the build up of carbon dioxide. Plants including hair algae consume carbon dioxide and when I added macros to the display, the ph rose back to 8.4 and white spots were gone for the new fish I added. Because of my experience with that plus numerous posts along the same lines on this board I am convinced that plant life of any kind is absolutely critical in maintaining a healthy system. This allows the fish to keep up their resistance to white spots and ich. I think my fish losses were because the fish were basically suffocating.
My hardiest plants are the kelp like caulperas. There is also the true marine plants such as turtle grass. I have had less success with grape, feather, and champaign glass caulperas but that may be do to shipping in cold weather. I have found brillo pad macros to be hardy also and it is filling up my little bitty refug.
One excellent source of plants would be hobbiest in your local area. They are probably throwing away many each month and would gladly share rather than toss. If you need some links more info on plants or comercial sources email me at beaslbob@aol.com

leopard_babe

Thank you so much beaslbob. That was SO helpful. Do you have any pictures of these marine life plants? I am considering adding some plants, but I want to know what they look like. Thanks again,
Leopard

javatech

yea that brillo pad macros or what ever they call them are hardy
i got some from a guy that broke down his ref it was in the bottom of a IO bucket of old sand he gave me that had been sitting outside for a few days and it was colddddddd but it came right back and is doing great

drakken

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Sally lightfoot crab? I guess I will then...
A Sally Lightfoot crab will LOVE to eat your hair algae. :joy: And they are great to watch.

jeepboy

I like the lawnmower blenny. he eats alot of hair algea, and doesn't strip areas of live rock bare like crabs or snails.

beaslbob

Originally posted by Leopard_babe
Thank you so much beaslbob. That was SO helpful. Do you have any pictures of these marine life plants? I am considering adding some plants, but I want to know what they look like. Thanks again,
Leopard

email me and i can give you some links to plant articles. beaslbob@aol.com. (I do not sell or am associated in anyway to any part of the aquarium trade :D )