Half circle freshwater tank to saltwater tank help

rcdude1990

hey guys, i need your help, at my office we have a fresh water tank, not sure how many gallons but i'm guessing 65 gallon (anyway to measure it?) which is a half circle, meaning the front is curcular and the back is a flat rectangular piece of glass. im looking to transform this tank into a salt water tank because i love my 125 gallon salt water at home, i cant deal with looking at the fresh water tank in the office lol.
currently it is running with a canister filter, but i know the canister filters are terrible for saltwater. it will definitly be a FOWLR and LS, so im thinking about putting in a wet dry. the problem im having really is finding an overflow box or overflow. the top of the tank is very weird, it has a good 6 inch brace thing at the top which is making it difficult for me to just place a HOB overflow... i will post pics up in a few minutes,
also the cabinet under the tank is kinda small, it basically fits the canister and some fish supplies perfectly. the setting up part isnt the hard part since i know all of that stuff already, the only problem im having is finding a wet/dry and an overflow.
ive seen these DIY overflows with PVC and this might be the only way to get it done, any other suggestions? i was thinking if there was a way to use the current canister filter tubing? it currently has a eheim 600.
pics will be posted in a few minutes, thanks in advanced
also ive seen a wet/dry from a company called tom something that basically has a canister sized wet/dry... i was thinking about just possibly making it myself out of these plastic bins things but i'm not to sure

geoj

Glass-Holes has an overflow kit for any DIY savvy person that I think would be a good choice. You would need to find out if the back could be drilled as you can not drill tempered glass.

geoj

You can do some geometry formulas, but I would not. What I do is make a volume scale. Take out 3-4 gallons so to be able to see the water line. Mark the water line with tape or an erasable fine tipped pen. Add one gallon of water and then mark the new water line. Measure the distance from the old line to the new, this is your scale volume, the measurement is how much one gallon is equal too in inches. Measure the height of the tank and divide it by your scale volume to get gallons.

rcdude1990

glass is not drill-able :/ i will have to look into builing a PVC over flow
also i looked at the tank and its 65 gallons

rcdude1990

alright got some pics for you...
in the last picture you can see what the problem is.... theere is a glass bracket around the top of the tank... i measure it... its 3inches from the very top of the brown edge, and the piece that is along the back wall is measured at 3.5 inches (so from the back wall to the front its comes out 3.5inches
i will have to look at some pVC overflows and determine if its possible to make one at least wider than 3.5 inches... my last resort is to hang it from the side of the tank, but i dont really wanna do that because children tend to look at the tank from that angle.
do you guys thing i can do anything with the ehiem tubing? the tube has a valve on it that allows me to stop water from going to the filter (so that i can clean the filter) and an overflow is basically sets a "trickle" down to the wet dry... so if i partically close the valve a little bit, wouldnt it simulate a trickle?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude1990 http:///t/390997/half-circle-freshwater-tank-to-saltwater-tank-help#post_3465381
hey guys, i need your help, at my office we have a fresh water tank, not sure how many gallons but i'm guessing 65 gallon (anyway to measure it?) which is a half circle
, meaning the front is curcular and the back is a flat rectangular piece of glass. im looking to transform this tank into a salt water tank because i love my 125 gallon salt water at home, i cant deal with looking at the fresh water tank in the office lol.
currently it is running with a canister filter, but i know the canister filters are terrible for saltwater. it will definitly be a FOWLR and LS, so im thinking about putting in a wet dry. the problem im having really is finding an overflow box or overflow. the top of the tank is very weird, it has a good 6 inch brace thing at the top which is making it difficult for me to just place a HOB overflow... i will post pics up in a few minutes,
also the cabinet under the tank is kinda small, it basically fits the canister and some fish supplies perfectly. the setting up part isnt the hard part since i know all of that stuff already, the only problem im having is finding a wet/dry and an overflow.
ive seen these DIY overflows with PVC and this might be the only way to get it done, any other suggestions? i was thinking if there was a way to use the current canister filter tubing? it currently has a eheim 600.
pics will be posted in a few minutes, thanks in advanced
also ive seen a wet/dry from a company called tom something that basically has a canister sized wet/dry... i was thinking about just possibly making it myself out of these plastic bins things but i'm not to sure
I used a canister filter on my 90g for over 7 years without a problem. They are not terrible for saltwater tanks, just remember to swap the media once a month. As an office tank it really sounds like the way to go.They are easy to install and run completely silent and being able to add a spray bar is an added plus. I would put a background on it, I like the tank. Just switch it to saltwater, add some live rock and the right substraight....why make it hard?

reefkprz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/390997/half-circle-freshwater-tank-to-saltwater-tank-help#post_3465748
I used a canister filter on my 90g for over 7 years without a problem. They are not terrible for saltwater tanks, just remember to swap the media once a month. As an office tank it really sounds like the way to go.They are easy to install and run completely silent and being able to add a spray bar is an added plus. I would put a background on it, I like the tank. Just switch it to saltwater, add some live rock and the right substraight....why make it hard?
I have to agree, in the setting its in a canister may be your best bet for the application. with proper cleanings cannisters can work just as well. I would just focus on making sure you have enough LR in the display for biological and run mechanical filtration in the canister like a sponge and floss combo in the canister. as well as media like chemi pure if your going to use it.

rcdude1990

lol yea i no the pool in the backround would be an amazing tank lmaooo
i dont want to place a backround on it because people in the pool can enjoy the view of the tank also...
my only concern as to the DIY PVC overflow is that the u part (the U piece that goes from the inside the tank to the outside) is going to be 3.5 inchoes long... so i feel that the syphon is going to break with becuase its not really a U shape; its more of a l____l you know what i mean?
i found online this cool wet/dry sytem by a company called "toms" http://www.aquariumguys.com/rapids-pro-3-wet-dry.html?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c1209_a_7c7276_a_7c245079
what i would do is remove there overflow box, run the DIY PVC and take their tubing and just attach it. i would have to look at its measurements and determine if it fits inside the stand
as far as a canister... any brand i should look for? basically one that has all of the things you guys stated right out of the box? my 125 has a wet/dry and im so familiar with the setup thats why im leaning more towards the wet/dry...

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/390997/half-circle-freshwater-tank-to-saltwater-tank-help#post_3465407
You can do some geometry formulas, but I would not. What I do is make a volume scale. Take out 3-4 gallons so to be able to see the water line. Mark the water line with tape or an erasable fine tipped pen. Add one gallon of water and then mark the new water line. Measure the distance from the old line to the new, this is your scale volume, the measurement is how much one gallon is equal too in inches. Measure the height of the tank and divide it by your scale volume to get gallons.
Or you find out what a cylinder tank is which is a complete circle and divide it by 1/2. There are online cylinder calculators for volume:
http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/volume_calculator

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude1990 http:///t/390997/half-circle-freshwater-tank-to-saltwater-tank-help#post_3465801
lol yea i no the pool in the backround would be an amazing tank lmaooo
i dont want to place a backround on it because people in the pool can enjoy the view of the tank also...
my only concern as to the DIY PVC overflow is that the u part (the U piece that goes from the inside the tank to the outside) is going to be 3.5 inchoes long... so i feel that the syphon is going to break with becuase its not really a U shape; its more of a l____l you know what i mean?
i found online this cool wet/dry sytem by a company called "toms" http://www.aquariumguys.com/rapids-pro-3-wet-dry.html?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c1209_a_7c7276_a_7c245079
what i would do is remove there overflow box, run the DIY PVC and take their tubing and just attach it. i would have to look at its measurements and determine if it fits inside the stand
as far as a canister... any brand i should look for? basically one that has all of the things you guys stated right out of the box? my 125 has a wet/dry and im so familiar with the setup thats why im leaning more towards the wet/dry...
Fluval is my favorite brand...I have had a few. The Fluval is super easy to maintain.

rcdude1990

after a long amount of time in my LFS trying to figure out ways to include a overflow in this tank, we come to the conclusion that the canister filter would have to be the only way to make this tank work.
im not familiar with canisters so im looking for all the help i can get....
ccurrently the tank is running a ehiem classic canister (2215?), which the LFS said it would be fine for saltwater. he gave me a tonnnnnn and literally like 20 things, to put in as filter media... so of course im gonna ask my good friends here there suggestions as far as media. i now in the filter now there is like these macaronie plastic pieces, a white cloth pad, a black pad, a blue pad, and 2 other things i cant describe (one are small balls as if out of a cereal box which is rough in texture, and the other i cant describe)
so what media should i really be needing and such
Remember this would most definitely be a FOWLR
so lets start this project up... i would probably look into replacing ALL of the media (although the canister filter was just recently bought id say about 1.5 months ago) should i use this canister filter or go purchase a different one?
he also tried to sell me on a HOB skimmer that was like $180, but i wasnt sure about it because it had no brand name on it and such
ps i forgot the rule as far as LS... 1lb per gallon? i kknow thats for LR

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdude1990 http:///t/390997/half-circle-freshwater-tank-to-saltwater-tank-help#post_3466013
after a long amount of time in my LFS trying to figure out ways to include a overflow in this tank, we come to the conclusion that the canister filter would have to be the only way to make this tank work.
im not familiar with canisters so im looking for all the help i can get....
ccurrently the tank is running a ehiem classic canister (2215?), which the LFS said it would be fine for saltwater. he gave me a tonnnnnn and literally like 20 things, to put in as filter media... so of course im gonna ask my good friends here there suggestions as far as media. i now in the filter now there is like these macaronie plastic pieces, a white cloth pad, a black pad, a blue pad, and 2 other things i cant describe (one are small balls as if out of a cereal box which is rough in texture, and the other i cant describe)
so what media should i really be needing and such
Remember this would most definitely be a FOWLR
so lets start this project up... i would probably look into replacing ALL of the media (although the canister filter was just recently bought id say about 1.5 months ago) should i use this canister filter or go purchase a different one?
he also tried to sell me on a HOB skimmer that was like $180, but i wasnt sure about it because it had no brand name on it and such
ps i forgot the rule as far as LS... 1lb per gallon? i kknow thats for LR
Hi,
You just want a 2 inch sand bed. So whatever it takes to get that.
As for the canister, the pads trap large particals, the plastic ceramic beads are to trap bacteria and help make a place for a colony to build and grow. You will have live rock so you don't need that. Just pads...or... the white filiment is fine, you don't need much else except maybe some phosban or carbon. Whatever media you use must be repalced or cleaned once each month
. I select my canister according to how easy it is to maintain, other than that, they are all created equal as long as the canister is for a tank your size or best, even larger. Do get a spray bar, they are awesome for surface movement and will free up your power heads. If you can't find a spraybar for your canister brand, get the Fluval one....it will fit.
You will need a HOB skimmer, but not right away, you could wait a few months before you really need one on a new set up. That gives you time to decide the brand and gather some money so you don't go broke all at once....LOL...with saltwater we like a steady drain on the funds, it hurts less that way.

rcdude1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/390997/half-circle-freshwater-tank-to-saltwater-tank-help#post_3466019
Hi,
You just want a 2 inch sand bed. So whatever it takes to get that.
As for the canister, the pads trap large particals, the plastic ceramic beads are to trap bacteria and help make a place for a colony to build and grow. You will have live rock so you don't need that. Just pads...or... the white filiment is fine, you don't need much else except maybe some phosban or carbon. Whatever media you use must be repalced or cleaned once each month
. I select my canister according to how easy it is to maintain, other than that, they are all created equal as long as the canister is for a tank your size or best, even larger. Do get a spray bar, they are awesome for surface movement and will free up your power heads. If you can't find a spraybar for your canister brand, get the Fluval one....it will fit.
You will need a HOB skimmer, but not right away, you could wait a few months before you really need one on a new set up. That gives you time to decide the brand and gather some money so you don't go broke all at once....LOL...with saltwater we like a steady drain on the funds, it hurts less that way.
HAHAHAH yea i know lol trust me i spent quite a few on my 125 hahaha
ok so in the canister ill be looking to keeping the pads and look for phosban or carbon... what about both?
my canister does have a spray bar with it which i have it on top of the tank going horizontal.
as for the LS ill just have to see, ill prob buy like 50 lbs and see how it goes from there... also LR i plan to make a center island kind of thing with many caves and stuff
as far as cleaning the canister.... am i going to be cleaning the ENITREEEE canister and all its media.. meaning the pads, sponges, phoban or carbon, even the canister itself?
cause i know with my wet/dry i dont ever clean the bioballs and such

rcdude1990

BUMPPP
just need to know if phosbane or carbon is the only media i need in my canister along with the white and blue pads.... also should i put both carbon and phosbane?

rcdude1990

any specific i should be placing these? i think from top to bottom it goes white pad, blue pad, ummm some sort of circular coco bebble thing, black pad, macaronia plastic pieces, then thats it...
any specific way i should be putting it? i believe the input for the canister goes from the bottom and the output goes up to the top and goes to a spray bar

reefkprz

particle filtratipon should be first, biological second, chemical last that way gunk doesn't clog up your chemical and biological media.