halide bulbs?

wangotango

i know that higher K means that the light is more "blue-ish", so what K bulb does everyone use? whats the difference between the Ushio, Iwasaki, sunburst, etc? this would probably be lighting a 125, so like what 3x 250watt bulbs? i havent used halides before.

aloka de silva

I am also looking some answes, I have a 180 Gal tank with 4 T-5 and 4 flourasants.
Now I want to add some Corrals and soft corals.
with the hood I have now, its imposibal to have a retro kit install in it.
Thinkig about getting a 72'' retro kit.
If any one can give me some advice , would be greate.
Thanks

acrylic51

I've used the Sunburst 12k's in the past and not real found of them to me they have to much color shift......I've used the Ushio and have really liked them but find I stay with 10k bulbs and to get the blue satisfactory to me I supplement with 03's (atinics). I'm currently running XM's and love the color and again I'm using the 10k's. I'm just leary at times going with 12, 14,15k bulbs, because it just might be to blue for my taste and it's easier to adjust that with 03's....HTH

oceana

you have to try and get away from the k rating. its a good starting point but thats about it.
one companys 20K is going to totaly different then anothers.
personaly i run radiums. they are considered 20k but IMO they are closer to a true 20K then other bulbs. most 20K bulbs are more like 40.
radiums are a very nice crisp bluish white. i love em. the crappy part is they are one of the more expensive brands. at around 90 per bulb