halimeda plant

ci11337

i have one and i really love the look of it but i heard somewhere else that they release a chemical that limits coral growth. Can anyone back this?

brandan

I have never heard this, but I do know that they use up useful calcium. I have some that came in on some rock, and I keep up on pulling it out. I can not afford it taking over the tank.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
This plant is calcium based, and it will uptake the calcium in your system, which, of course, competes with hard corals that also need calcium. If you don't have hard corals, there's no worry. If you do, then just maintain adequate calcium levels in your system and it should be fine.
I find these are great plants, fast growers, and a great place for micro stars, worms, snails, etc. to find safety from predators.

scopus tang

If I'm not mistaken, it also absorbes iodine, which is needed by softies like xenia and zoas, so keep up on frequent water changes or test and dose iodine with this plant as well. Other than that, its great for adding a little natural green to the aquarium. Beth, do you know, when leaves turn white, should they be removed, or can they be left to dissolve and crumble on their own?

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2604672
If I'm not mistaken, it also absorbes iodine, which is needed by softies like xenia and zoas, so keep up on frequent water changes or test and dose iodine with this plant as well. Other than that, its great for adding a little natural green to the aquarium. Beth, do you know, when leaves turn white, should they be removed, or can they be left to dissolve and crumble on their own?
I leave them to dissolve as the leaves crumble into calcium based oolitic sand. adding to the sand bed.
if its a massive die off I might remove a bunch just to prevent fouling but not usually, the calcium they consume then stays in system as sand (believe it or not halimeda is considered almost as big a reef builder as some SPS corals)

scopus tang

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2604708
I leave them to dissolve as the leaves crumble into calcium based oolitic sand. adding to the sand bed.
if its a massive die off I might remove a bunch just to prevent fouling but not usually, the calcium they consume then stays in system as sand (believe it or not halimeda is considered almost as big a reef builder as some SPS corals)
Excellent! I'd thought I'd read something similar somewhere, but wasn't sure so I wanted to confirm. Thanks reefkprZ