Hammer and lighting?

chris17

I have a standard 75g with a 2 bulb T5 retro. They are the 54w bulbs, giesmann powerchrome, one is a pure actinic and the other is aquablue plus. I was wondering if I would be able to keep a hammer in the top half of the tank or not? Or LPS at all? I am planning on getting another 2 bulb retro soon, but was wondering if I could get a few LPS now. Thanks for the input!

coastie5685

i would wait it out... get yourself more lighting... thats def not enough for a 75g and then get your hammer... unless you keep frogspawn of the sort in there already. id say the two go hand in hand as far as captivity requirements... but for the money you will spend on hammer.. i would upgrade lighting... and under those you can still keep zoas.. xenia sofites like that... candycane, frogspawn, hammer the more expensive stuff wait it out.

stanlalee

hammer will survive easily under two T5 HO bulbs. you wont even have to put it high up. they are VERY adaptable to different lighting. I had mine on the bottom of with pc and midway up with strong performing 175w halides. the size of the tank really doesn't matter. what matters is that you have the coral placed under the light. Obviously you dont have full front to back coverage with two T5's over 18" but they will easily work with the coral placed within reason in the proximity of the tubes.
this hammer came from the bottom of a 30" deep tank with 250w halides at the LFS straight to the bottom of 96wx2 pc, one actinic (which your two T5's are stronger than and only 3" taller)

then straight to midway up a tank the same depth as your with 175w halides