hammer coral delima

saltyrich

the lfs has a hammer coral that's rather expensive. The thing about it is that it has been in their tank for probably over a month now because of the higher price I think. It's exoskeleton forms the shape of a 3-leaf clover if you look at it in cross-section. The thing is, only 1/3 of the hammer coral is out. After awhile the other 2/3 retracted and hasn't been seen since. I can buy this coral at a good price because of this. Any cautions out there. What about experience with hammers (placement, current, feeding). Can he completely recover if somethings wrong?

jacksonpt

I had one for a long time (I no longer have it because my angel ate it) and they are great corals. The recession is a sign of a problem. If it's just stress, than it might not be a big deal. However, if there's a more serious problem, the retracted 2/3s might be dead or dying, in which case it won't grow back. You could cut away the dead parts, but it sounds like you were hoping for a fuller coral. I'd pass on it personally, but that's just my opinion.
FWIW... hammer corals are very sensitive to the oils in our skin. If someone at the lfs touched the tissue when putting the coral in the tank, that could have killed part of it.

twoods71

Temporary retraction is not always a problem. If the coral is always retracted however then there may be something wrong.
1 major thing to look for is receding flesh. If the flesh looks like it is receding any place on the skeleton then I would pass on the purchase.

richard rendos

Inside the skeleton where it is retracted...does it look like snot? If so, it is probably brown jelly and if not treated will more than likely spread to the rest. If it doesn't look snotty, but just retracted, I would say it is probably still alive.