Hammer coral questions

blanquita

I recently got my first lps. Its about 1.5" so kind of small. I have had it one week and I think it has grown already. I don't know anything about fragging corals. I am hoping you all could post some pictures of what it looks like when a hammer starts to grow new frags. like the first signs of new growth, and a progression would be fantastic!
I also wanted to know if laying the hard stem kind of on its side on middle level of LR is okay. Or does it have to stand straight up? its in medium flow, mid level of tank with 65w

hunt

they dont grow frags, they grow new heads, if its a branching hammer, you chould wait untill there is at least 1in between the living tissue and where you want to frag it, to frag it you just need to take something like a dremmel and saw the head off, and you have a new hammer coral frag.
Also what kind of lights do you have, light Metal halide, T-5, power compact ect.

whitebird

Originally Posted by Hunt
http:///forum/post/3240723
they dont grow frags, they grow new heads, if its a branching hammer, you chould wait untill there is at least 1in between the living tissue and where you want to frag it, to frag it you just need to take something like a dremmel and saw the head off, and you have a new hammer coral frag.
Also what kind of lights do you have, light Metal halide, T-5, power compact ect.
i've had this hammer for about 3 months and it has split a few heads and has been growing new starts from the stocks as you can see in the pic by the red dots , this was took after the lights were off if you want to see them open i can get a pic when the lights are on