hammer coral

hunt

i was thinking about getting a hammer coral. I need to know, are they easy to take care of? are they sesnitive to changes in water parameters? Will a clownfish try to host it for some reason?

jackri

All depends what your set up is. If you have the correct set up and water parameters they are very easy. Doubtful a clown would host it but then again I have a clown that hosts a leather coral.

gill again68

Clowns will do the most crazy things. I have heard of people saying their clowns are being hosted by a power head. My clowns picked a star polyp.

black cobra

I have moved mine now 5 times because it has a temper and if it is not in the "perfect flow" it will be pissed off and stay closed up. Finally after a week I found the right spot for it and it seems to be happy..... for now

mr. limpid

I have hammer coral in a 20gsl. long for five years and it is doing great lots of new growth and babies. Equipment: 30lb live rock; power compact light 55watt atinic 55 watt day light; protein skimmer; hang on filter; power head; temp. 80-82; salt 1.025. I have had ocellaris in the tank at one time for about two years never hosted hammer. But ocellars are picky maybe other clowns may. Good luck

blanquita

Does it do better with the the branch stuck in the sand or sitting half way up on the LR? Also does anyone know how long it takes for branches to grow? People say they grow fast but that doesn't mean anything to me. Days? Weeks? Years?

hunt

Originally Posted by blanquita
http:///forum/post/3244075
Does it do better with the the branch stuck in the sand or sitting half way up on the LR? Also does anyone know how long it takes for branches to grow? People say they grow fast but that doesn't mean anything to me. Days? Weeks? Years?
I would think the sand or rock thing depends on lighting, although whenever i go to my LFS the have them about half way up with plenty of light. As for the growth, i would think a few months, but im not completly sure