hammer coral

Kevin Michael

I have a hammer coral that is starting to look nothing like at least the pictures I've seen of a hammer coral. Is this normal? (I'll post a picture in a couple of days when I Can) but the tentacles on the head are small and spread out not bushy and thick like I usually see hammer corals.

lmforbis

I do too. One of mine is purple tipped, looks just like yours. My other one is green tipped ad puffs up much more than the purple tipped. My green one has more obvious hammers while the purple one has small hammers.

2quills

Yep.

Might be important to note that Euphyllia Para-Ancora (branching hammer) tend not to have the distinctive hammer tips. And often times are mistaken for frog spawn that can be found with similar colors and morphs.

Euphyllia Ancora (wall hammer) have the very distinctive hammer shaped tips.

2quills

That's what I'm leaning towards. Either that or a unhappy torch. Some of the tips look a little too odd shaped to be a torch to me though.

They're all Euphyllia either way. Mine currently has 4 heads.

20170123_221955_resized.jpg

Last edited:

2quills

Almost impossible to tell either way without seeing it happy since they are virtually identical in skeletal and coralite structure. Might as well be the same coral. The color looks like many torches I've seen. The way it's split makes me lean towards branching hammer.

Same family, just different shapes on the tips and tentacles.

Torch skeleton
0148_BW2_03.jpg

Branching hammer
0498_BW2_01.jpg

Last edited: