Handling a feather duster

rushprop

I have a feather duster and the thing seems to keep getting dug up by my snails. How fragile is the tube they are in, i want to bury it deeper, but i dont want to hurt it trying to get it down there. What do you guys do with yours?

rcoultas

As a rule feather dusters tend to thrive more if they are under or between rocks at the sandbed and have light to moderate flow. I have tried a couple midway and they only lasted about 6 months - had one in sandbed only and it closed up shop and moved.

rcoultas

the tail half of the tube should be buried - you can use your finger to dig a furrow and then cover it up and place a small rock over that. The worm will extend it's tube as it needs to and sometimes will anchor it to the rock.

t316

Maybe this info. will help.
I have tried moving several on two different occasions to different tanks. Once, I think I grabbed the "tube" but the worm inside gave me the slip. The other time, I made sure to dig deeper, to get the whole thing, but they never reappeared after the move. But in the tank where they are abundant, where the others came from, I have seen tubes broken off and they regrow, I have seen them move, nothing seems to stop them. For me, it's just moving them that always seems to kill them.

casper1875

My Hawaiian Feather Duster attached itself under a rock. It was a shallow cave my goby use to sleep in. The goby moved over to the next cave. Guess I forgot to teach him to share.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by rushprop
http:///forum/post/2685064
So its not a big deal if the tube is not buried?

I have a coco worm and I have read that having it placed in between two rocks in the middle of the tank is fine as long as the crown is present. If the crown is hidden then I have to move it to the sand bed.