Hands down! Whats the best salt?????

eaglephot

I have tried a few and Reef Crystals is my favorite. I never add anything to my tank. Just weekly water changes.

grubsnaek

i wasnt sure if this was still one of the best. may just start to buy this my the 200 gallon mix, so i can do my 125DT and this upcoming tank...

grubsnaek

i get my salt water from a store, they use instant ocean. and they recommend i dose for calcium and magnesium.....so with a better salt i may not have to....

btwk12

U Trust A Lfs To Mix Ur Water For U? I Wouldnt I Get My Ro Water From There But I Mix My Own Salt,but Thats Just Me.

rebelprettyboy

I hate Instant Ocean. nvr had a problesm with trace elements or anything, but algea wsa always a constant problem. A lot of ppl have had the same problem and then switched...
Ive been using CoraLife salt. with no problems for almost 1.5 yrs
I think im gonna try Reef Crystals next!

big

Originally Posted by mkzimms
http:///forum/post/2803722
i use tropic marin pro-reef. its a little expensive but its good stuff.
I started with Instant Ocean, first few buckets ,not enough calcium.
Then Reef Crystals, better calicun for about two years. Not a bad salt.

Then a friend with a similar set up to mine also using --, switched to Tropic Marine Pro. I saw a difference in his tank in a month.
Now it is Tropic Marine Pro only for me too!

mantisman51

I have found that Instant Ocean seems to goes further than Tropic Marin. What I mean is to get 1.025 sg with IO takes almost exactly 1/2 cup. When I was using TM, it would always take a little over 1/2 cup. Not scientific, but it was enough for me to stick with IO.

grubsnaek

the tank was doing fine under there water, but recently i started testing more and noticed some level drop offs...so i am considering changing salt rather than constantly dosing...ive heard alot about Tropic Marin, but also hearing alot of you using Reef Crystals.....

mr_x

i hear tropic marin pro reef is the best salt (closest to natural sea water), but it's way too expensive for me. i use oceanic. i like it alot better than reef crystals and i don't dose anything. also, the oceanic bucket which is the same price as reef crystals, is 25% or so larger.
reef crystals is low on calcium.

calaxa

From a fresh batch of Reef Crystal, I think CA is 360-380ppm (mixing to 1.024-1.025 SG). TM gives 400-420 if I recall but costs almost double.

mr_x

and oceanic gives in the mid 500's, which with the percentage one will change out during the waterchange, this seems to work out well.