Hands in the Tank?

rykna

I put my hands into my tanks all the time with out prewashing or adding lotions to remove contaminants. A lot of people say that this is a big NO NO. Which I can understand why. But what do you think?

atmachine5

I've done this in my FW tank for 1.5yrs. before knowing and never had problems and still do sometimes. I use gloves in my SW most of the time though.

slowburn22

I rinse my hands in the sink real quick before I do just to make sure I dont have any soap or anything crazy - but thats it. I've done it for over 15 years in fresh water and about 5 months in my salt tank. I think its a little over cautious - kinda like the weirdos that dont touch doorknobs.

scsinet

I routinely stick my hands into my tanks and it never causes problems, BUT I won't stick them in there if I've showered recently (soap residue) or if my hands are dirty from something I was doing outside the tank... If I have washed my hands recently I rinse them well and dry them with either paper towel or a clean hand towel to prevent soap contamination.

jennythebugg

we do it all the time ..of course we are always washed and residue free when we do but our fishes come right to us .
gotta love them fishies

lesleybird

Ok, I only put my right arm in the tank and never put perfume on the right arm only my left arm and the rest of me. Before I clean the tank I take a shower and rinse of the soap well and do not put lotion on my arms. Lesley

lesleybird

Ok, I only put my right arm in the tank and never put perfume on the right arm only my left arm and the rest of me. I always wash my hands with liquid soap and rinse and dry them well first also. Before I clean the tank I take a shower and rinse of the soap well and do not put lotion on my arms. Lesley

reefforbrains

I think I am opposite.
Most times I am washing tank salt off my arms so I can touch OTHER things.
I try to keep my arms clean or if I have been in the shop I wont dare stick a hand in the tank. Normally I try to rinse and wash my arms good if I know I am going to be poking around for a bit in the tank if I know in advance. Normally I try to keep hands out of the tank except planned adjustments or moves.

teen

i used to rinse my hands off and then dry them with a towel, but im in so many times i just stick them in now without even thinking about it. of course i dont go in if i was just working on my bike or something and i have grease all over my hands, or if i just washed my hands with soap. if i feel like i have something on my hands, i usually use rubbing alcohol and then air dry them before going in.

sepulatian

I rarly place my hands in my tank. There is no need to. I would if my hands were free of soap residue and lotion. The problem is that I can always smell some sort of fragrance on my hands. If I have to put my hands in the tank then they are rinsed realy well with hot water and dried off with a paper towel. I do not trust my cloth towels because I use fabric softener.

lesleybird

Fess up....Who is the odd one person that never puts their hands in their tanK? And why not? Many of us would like to swim in their tanks if it was big enough! I won't buy a tank that my fingers can't touch the bottom to move stuff around and pick stuff up.
Lesley

poniegirl

HOT water, no soap. Yes, I put my hands in, but usually with reason.
Lesley, are your seahorses home yet?

reefkprz

I spend more time in my tank than out of it. constantly fragging an whatnot. I ususally rinse my hands I will NOT put my hands in my tank after a shower or using houshold cleaners or touching anything that could contaminate my tank with chemicals. I usually give about four hours after a shower before I will reach into my tank, after washing my hands off. Honestly I dont sweat most organics, food etcetera, rinse and plunge.

renogaw

in an emergency, or if the gloves are too bulky to do what i want to do, i'll rince my hands/arms with water then dry off. but i mainly use my bicep length gloves when poking in the tank. when i get my bare hands/arms out of the tank, i rince in cold water to get the salt off, then wash in hot water. remember, hot water opens your pores and will let stuff get in them.

petjunkie

I usually just rinse my hands off with hot water before sticking them in but sometimes I reach in to fix a fallen powerhead or frag but I don't do this unless I know I don't have lotion or anything on my hands. I put on lotion at work a lot because my hands dry out fast but I take note of when I do so I make sure to wash extra well. Mostly though it's washing salt off.

njbeacher

I only put my hands in there when the lights are on. Too many wierd things come out after the lights go off. <shiver>

symon

Originally Posted by njbeacher
I only put my hands in there when the lights are on. Too many wierd things come out after the lights go off. <shiver>

clown boy

Originally Posted by njbeacher
Too many wierd things come out after the lights go off. <shiver>
Tis true, you know... LOL