Hang On Fliters

cgarza

I was told not to use a hang on filter's but when I look at a few post on these forums I see a few. Is there any thing wrong with using them on saltwater tanks? I have a wet/dry thatI'm using.[/SIZE]

mikeyfishy

I use a hang-on filter, but haven't had much luck with this hobby yet so I'm interested in the overall take on this one too!
Mike

dragonzim

If you have a wet/dry then you shouldnt need a hang on. You can use one if you want though. I am using an AquaClear 110 on my 75. Its mainly just for flow at this point since my live rock is providing my real filtration.

cgarza

I'm not usning but I have two of the same filters you have just sitting around and was told they can raise the levels of your tank. I do need more flow so maybe I will use it.

michaeltx

I use a hang on filter for 2 reasons.
1) increase surface agitation
2) I didnt have a sump so it give me a place to run carbon and other pads when needed but one things is dont leave the filter pads in the filter.it will clog fast and has carbon in there running carbon 24/7 is a bad thing.
Mike

mrsgoose

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
I use a hang on filter for 2 reasons.
1) increase surface agitation
2) I didnt have a sump so it give me a place to run carbon and other pads when needed but one things is dont leave the filter pads in the filter.it will clog fast and has carbon in there running carbon 24/7 is a bad thing.
Mike
I have a hang on filter on my 29g - that's my only filtration other than 30 lbs live rock and a 2-inch sand bed. I also have 2 powerheads. I have a filterbag with carbon in there all the time - should I take that out? The tank has been running about 1 month. Thanks!

michaeltx

carbon can only hold so much before it will start to leach it back into the water. It has also been looked at as a possible cause of HLLE and other disease from what I have read in different spots. I havent been able to find anything diffenative on it but I wouldnt take that chance.
BTW your filtration is the Love rock and Live sand with good water flow thats your main filtration on that tank.
mike

mrsgoose

I know the main filtration is the rock and sand, and like you, I got it from an established tank so I haven't had a cycle really. I guess I can take the filter bag with the carbon out and just leave the sponge? I have a small mesh bag in the filter, too, into which I'm putting granular calcium to raise those levels (right now around 360). I noticed I have some little pods living on the mesh bag, that's good, right? I figure those would be in the sponge, too. I have all sorts of things crawling around the tank, my hermits are happy. Allthough, I added a few turbo snails and my hermits attacked one of them and are devouring him! Will this turn them into snail-eaters??
Thanks!

michaeltx

do you have any empty shell in there for the hermits. if not the only shell they have available is the snail shells so they will kill snails for them. also some hermits are just killers.
the pods are a good thing but in the filter media it wont be so good cause youll have to clean it out in effect killing the pods that are there. But dont wory cause there are many many more in the tank!!
Mike

mrsgoose

I do have a few extra empty shells for the hermits, 3-4 I think, and now two empty snail shells. I only have 8 hermits, I think. I also got a peppermint shrimp to eat my aiptasia, which it did, but then the shrimp disappeared - the tank is in our dental office, so I had to leave it alone for 2 days right after adding the shrimp. Next time I won't add anything on the weekend! Duh...
so, I'll take out the white filter bag w/ carbon and I'll leave the sponge. That sound good?? Thanks for all of your input - I've been admiring your pics on other threads.