Hang on protein skimmer recommenations

737mech

I have a skilter 250 on my 38 gal and I want to get a new protein simmer (one that is quiet, makes dirty foam with not a lot of bubbles in the tank). That is what I don't get with my skilter!
Any thoughts? Thanks!

popalnet

I have an aquac urchin and it is awesome. It's amazing all the crap it collects. If you do get an aquac, make sure you don't get it with the rio pump. Don't even touch a rio with 10 foot pole. I'm using a maxijet pump and it works great.

justchillin

Originally posted by popalnet
If you do get an aquac, make sure you don't get it with the rio pump. Don't even touch a rio with 10 foot pole. I'm using a maxijet pump and it works great.

i have a remora pro on my 75, originally had the rio ph but it died within a few months...go with the equivilent maxijet...i hae 3 and they still work great 4 years later.
-mike

justinx

Definitely the Bak Pak 2R . . . it does an awesome job at pulling crap out. Takes a little time to break in, but after that it works REALLY well.
P.S. I have the RIO in mine still and have not had any problems. I do plan to switch to the MAXI once this one goes.

tallone

Two thumbs up on the CPR Bac-Pac IIR. I empty the collection cup every day. Not that it fills up that much over night, I just can't stand looking at that gunk.:D

justinx

They just released a dual model Bak Pak, and if it is anything like the IIR, it will do wonders for your future tank.

aquaboogie

i would go with the remora pro good for 75+ gallons just cuz im acua C freak.the dual pak seems pretty cool but i would wait on feedback to see how it performs. im a little skepticle on the idea of having 2 rio's in my tank

justinx

I agree about the rios, but it can be upgraded to use Maxi Jet 1200's if it is used in a sump that would pretty much put a super charger on the thing!