hang on skimmers any good?

jacksonpt

I need to add a skimmer to my 75g aggressive to help with the bioload that my lion has brought in. Are the hang-on style skimmers any good? I've heard good things about the CPR backpacks and the Red Sea Prizms.

eslowfiddy

Just a word of warning about the Prisims, they are very loud.
You might have better luck in the equipment forum. This question gets asked almost daily in there.

bradttu

I bought a Prizm. I know that I am new to this hobby, but what might be loud to some might not be loud to others. I don't have a problem with mine. Just my .02

treble

Yeah i used to have a prizm on my 30 gallon...it wasn't very efficent. I could leave it in there for a week and I would get half an inch of light green fluid! Now it could be that my tanks bioload is very small, but it just never seemed to work for me. The venturi on it that sucks in air always pissed me off cause it was always gulping air, but maybe thats how they all are, I am not really sure. I plan to get a Berlin Turbo Classic HOT Skimmer for my large aquarium when I get one.

joez

I'm using aquarium systems and it seems to work great. Only cost me $100 at lfs, as well.
They use the same one on a very large tank which they keep their live rock.

justchillin

i'm using a aqua c remora pro on my 75...although over the last year or so it has been pulling much out of the water...but my levels have been consitantly where they should be for like 2 years now so maybe the just isn't anything for it to pull out anymore??
it worked great before that though...

joez

Uh...you do clean it, don't you?
The stuff it pulls out constantly builds...it's not like it can get it all out and that is it....

justchillin

Originally posted by JoeZ
Uh...you do clean it, don't you?
The stuff it pulls out constantly builds...it's not like it can get it all out and that is it....

me??
yeah i know how to use a skimmer...:rolleyes:

dfishh

i hav a seaclone 100, for my 55 and it does a great job, i hope. im guessing it does becuz evry day teh collection cup is like and eighth full with green brown water!!!
DAVE