Hang over back refugium

duke13

I was just curious as to how many of you guys use a hang-over-the-back refugium. I've seen some and I thought it would perfect for me, space-wise. Pics would be great if guys had some.

marvida

I have a 12" HOB on my 10. It holds some macro, the heater, skimmer, and a gallon or so of water. I think they're fine on nanos but I'm not sure how they'd be for a larger tank. This pic is looking at it from the side.

chingchong

how to you pump your water to the fuge? do you use a u-tube? can you take a picture of top or from inside the tank.
I have a hob fuge sitting on the floor b/c i haven't decided what to put in it.
thanks.

X

xoxox

I have an 18" on my 55 and it works great for my Macro (sorry, no pics). It has a small pump that circulates the water through. Most of my equiptment is H.O.T since I am sumpless and everything works fine.

D

daniel411

As far as nutrient export value, I don't think you're find them "noticeably" valuable. As a place to grow pods, mangroves, or place accessories; they're very cool.
Just be careful, some of them are prone to possibly overflow your display tank when the power is tripped.

liontamer

Well, if its powered by a pump, then I wouldnt think so... on my 30 gallon, I actually took a really big hang on filter, stuffed it with substrate, rocks, and then the speed on low. It grows all sorts of little critters, and the tank is crawling with them. I dont put any plants in there, but there are sponges growing in it (little q-tips, great natural filters) and then the lr rubble gets me all sorts of pods and microfauna. And since the water just lofws right back into the display tank, u dont haveta worry about the blades chopping the things up. I use a skilter filter, its got two chambers, comes with a skimmer built right in, but the skimmers crap. I took it out. THen, I just added a prizm skimmer on the side, heater in the display and ph in the display, and i was set. Its a pretty neat setup.

X

xoxox

Haha Marvida, is that the one you had to build yourself? I got one too, mine was 18". It sure was a project to put together with all that glue (capillary action?). I was pretty proud when I got done and it held water and since I 'm the one who built it., if it leaked it was my fault.

flatzboy

Originally posted by XoXoX
Haha Marvida, is that the one you had to build yourself? I got one too, mine was 18". It sure was a project to put together with all that glue (capillary action?). I was pretty proud when I got done and it held water and since I 'm the one who built it., if it leaked it was my fault.

I had to put mine together to but mine was a sump/refugium not a hang on back one.

marvida

Yeah, it was a kit. It was an interesting project, I was impressed with the quality of the kit. If the pump is turned off, the water will siphon back into the tank until the water level is the same between the tank & the 'fuge.