hangon refugium

chruckguy

What do you guys think about hangon refugiums? I would like to have a refugium but don't want to deal with drilling, piping, getting flows right, etc.

chain

I use a cpr HOB refugium on my 29 gallon reef. Think the water volume total for it is around 4.5 gallons. It came with a rio pump that doesn't work bad, but I replaced it. I also purchased the lighting system which was specifically made for it along with a few extra bulbs and a better light stand. It works fairly well at doing what its meant for, but I paid well over $250 for just the fuge and light alone. If you have the time and ability you could definitely make something much better for probably alot cheaper. Don't get me wrong I love my refugium; however for the price it cost I could have purchased a lot larger sump/fuge, drilled the tank and had that much more water volume. I opted to not do so, but having the choice again im not sure I would make the same decision. Also that much weight hanging on the back of the tank glass can't be good. I keep waiting to have the whole back glass in my tank breaking apart and ending my tank. Hasn't happened yet though.

chruckguy

Thanks for your iffy answer, lol. I've read that the pump that comes with these suck and needs to be upgraded. I've seen a link to a store with the CPR HOB Refugium but I can't find it anymore. I'm assuming it was to a trusted site. If anyone can post it, that'd be great :)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChruckGuy http:///forum/thread/383808/hangon-refugium#post_3359518
Thanks for your iffy answer, lol. I've read that the pump that comes with these suck and needs to be upgraded. I've seen a link to a store with the CPR HOB Refugium but I can't find it anymore. I'm assuming it was to a trusted site. If anyone can post it, that'd be great :)

Just Google CPR refugium, it will come up. Talk to Al&Burke, he made a custom HOB and if were looking to do that...he is who I would hire to make it. He even made an attachment for his HOB skimmer, it was just awesome.

slice

I run a CPR Aquafuge II PS, it is a HOB Bak-Pak made into a refugium. It works very well, but if I had to do it over, I would find some way to go sump.
CPR also had HOB refugiums without the skimmer and has good reviews. There are members here that use them.

chain

Well a big part of whether or not you should/can get and use one is the size of your tank. I would say anything over 55 gallons the benefits of that small a water volume are going to be minute. Also the surface area to grow macro isn't all that large so you might not get enough nutrient export in a tank larger then that plus you would be pruning quite a bit. If you simply are using the fuge as a source to culture pods and for the DSB then you should be ok in any tank. They are more along the lines made for smaller tanks as a means to have a refugium without having
To go through the troubles of drilling and plumbing. I have seen them on larger tanks; however in almost all cases they were supplementing a larger refugium.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain http:///forum/thread/383808/hangon-refugium#post_3359555
Well a big part of whether or not you should/can get and use one is the size of your tank. I would say anything over 55 gallons the benefits of that small a water volume are going to be minute. Also the surface area to grow macro isn't all that large so you might not get enough nutrient export in a tank larger then that plus you would be pruning quite a bit. If you simply are using the fuge as a source to culture pods and for the DSB then you should be ok in any tank. They are more along the lines made for smaller tanks as a means to have a refugium without having
To go through the troubles of drilling and plumbing. I have seen them on larger tanks; however in almost all cases they were supplementing a larger refugium.
My meager experience and incomplete research makes me agree with this.
I think I read somewhere that 10% of DT volume is a good rule of thumb for minimum refugium volumes for effective nutrient export (assuming proper setup).
My HOB is 4.6g, my DT is 47g (minus sand, rock and such), so I am at the minimum recommended volume.

florida joe

what size tank and what are you trying to achieve with the refug also what is the distance from the back of your DT to the wall

chruckguy

I don't even have a tank right now. Looking at getting a 30gal tank. I've had tanks before, just never had a refugium. Having one for pods would be nice. I've had a mandarin fish before, real nice to have in the tank, but have never been able to keep them alive. I had bought pods for him before, but as you all know, they disappear very quickly. I've seen people put Cheato in their refuges, I assume this is for food for the pods as well as helping filter nitrates and stuff? I never did much research before, had a roomate that has had fishtanks his whole life, I always asked him questions. Now that I'm 1200 miles away, I need to do my own research, lol.

chain

On a 30 gallon tank a HOB would fuge would work fine. However I wouldn't recommend keeping a mandarin unless aquacultured even with a large amount of reproducing pods in the fuge. Unless you constantly supplied large amounts of pods it would starve to death eventually. They need far more then you would believe. The fuge would and should suffice in nutrient export with the use of macro and a DSB. You can also culture pods in there as they are beneficial regardless if you have a mandarin or not. Also it's a good place to store media such as chemi pure elite. If you are dead set on a mandarin your best bet is to get an aquacultured one ( fancy for saying they will accept frozen food, mysis to be exact). I have 90 or so young ones which are eating frozen now although that number will likely decrease before long as I weed out the weaker links. Ive seen aquacultured spotted
Mandarins here at saltwaterfish so it goes to reason eventually they will get in aquacultured regulars. First thing though is the tank build and the research into exactly what you're looking to achieve with the tank.

al&burke

Flower mentioned my HOB fuge baffle system here is a picture, my CL SS feeds it - It is a DIY and it works really well. I run an FX5 on my 65 with the CL 125 and 8 gallon HOB DIY fuge. My nitrates have been consistantly lower about 2.5.

chruckguy

Nice. I wouldn't need one that big, although the bigger it is, the more stuff I can have in it, thus making it potentially more beneficial. is that a protein simmer feeding your fuge?

chain

He built a compartment for the skimmer onto the fuge. Really nifty idea. I would go that route Chruck as you can really customize the fuge to fit your needs. Or you could pay Al to make you one. I sure as shit would have if I had of been here when I bought my CPR fuge. With any commercial HOB fuge you are going to be extremely limited into what equipment will actually fit in that small of an area; whereas with one of Als you could basically customize the fuge to fit all the equipment you need it to fit + still get the benefit of the fuge itself.
By the way Al that is some very clean acryllic work. Haven't seen any DIY look even remotely close to that good. Truly amazing. Name remembered. If I ever need any acrylic work i'm going to tell the old man he's fired.

al&burke

Thanks, There are few guys on this forum that would put my work to shame - you will meet them Acrylic51 and 2Quils, there are a few more I just don't remember them. I would be glad to help you out right now I am upgrading my 65 reef to a sump/fuge - just never have enough time to do all the things you want to do, time to retire and do custom tank set ups.
Oh and don't forget guys out of respect for our great hosts here SWF.COM we should honour their wishes that nothing is sold through these posts.

chain

Your work looks pretty dang good to me. Idk how much better you can make a HOB like that because it is extremely clean and well molded. I know how messy that stuff can get when you try to melt the pieces together.

chruckguy

An FX5 would be total overkill on a 30 gallon tank, although I was looking at other Fluvals and was maybe thinking about the Fluval 205. One benefit that I like about the canister filters is that it's out of site, the only thing you'll see is the piping going to and from the tank. Then if I get a fuge, I can put the return of the Fluval to the HOB fuge and it'll feed back into the tank... I like it :)