Happy Unhappy Birthday To Me!!

widowmaker

DADGUMIT! ! !
i can't look at those pictures any more. i hate it when bad things happen to good swf people.
it's like having a wreck in your new car, coming home from the dealer, or something.

sorcha

I am so sorry! And on your b-day no less, how insulting!
I would have completely flipped and that's nothing to what my husband would do. Pretty sure his head would explode. :mad: I'm sending this link to him now so we can check on our heater brand. We've been thinking it's been acting kind of hinky lately anyway.

bonebrake

My most sincere condolences.

I don't know what size tank you have, but consider buying multiple 50 watt heaters to account for the wattage the tank needs. If one sticks on, you will only notice a slight increase in temperature and be able to remedy the problem.

reef bug

You have my sypmathy. I would send a pictire of the dead fish and the defective heater to the manufacturer. You should not have this kind of failure anytime, but certainly not after 5 months. It won't bring your fish back, but it might make you feel better. And if they have any moral values, they will look for the casue of the failure and take corrective actions so future fish dont suffer the same fate.
Again, sorry for your loss.

benter

I guess that the sensor part of the heater shorted out...and electrocuted them.. I had a very stinky electrical smell in the water itself..the water was all white and frothy..but the temperature was @ 79 degrees. And this was after I posted some pics in the top down contest @ 9:00 A:M,everything was great, came home at 3:00P:M to this. Really sucks because there are not many places here in Arkansas to buy from..

scsinet

It sounds like a major electrical ground fault to me as well. The milky water is probably precipitated calcium or ozone caused by the current flowing through the water.
It's terrible that it happened. I use Wons on almost all of my tanks (Jagers on the rest) and I've never had a problem like this, but this thread has made me think about switching over entirely to Jagers.
Be sure to install a GFI on your tank as soon as possible, and if you get a glass heater, a grounding probe. With the grounded titanium case of the heater (or a grounding probe), a GFI would have prevented this disaster.

maxalmon

I banned all glass type heaters from my tanks a long time ago, I use the "Stealth" heaters which are housed in a black PVC type of pipe. So sorry this happened

murph145

hey benter that sucks sorry about that! i could only imagine how id feel if something like that happened to my tank!!!!
so whats surviving in your tank??
maybe somepeople could help send u some frags....
ive got a few if ur interested

benter

so far a moon coral seems to be making it, and my acan...all the softies are melted. I also think the tube anemone is going to make it...The frag offer is really awesome murph...never turned them down, especially now considering how hard they are to come by around here. I have lived in south florida for the last 10 years and it was a lot easier to get corals, frags..thanks for all the support to everyone

kailiek

what a bummer dude i know how you feel , the hurricane came thru here last year and after 9 days of no ac, generator for pumps , the 110degree heat did one of my tanks in but i figured out what was really strong, only the strong survive. hey have a better bday, that really sucks i know.
p/s if you need new stuff email me i will give you a birthday present
kailiek@valornet.com :cheer:

murph145

yeah benter hit me up on email and ill let u know what i got that i can send u ok
murph145"at"aol.com

rs1831

Thats just awful. Sorry for your loss. Does anyone know what heater we should be using because I'm using the someone that caused all of this.

kailiek

i like ebojagger (is that how you spell it) used them in my pet shop never had a problem, have you contacted the mfgr of that heater?