Hard corals not opening

i like fish

I have an open brain and a frogspawn that are not opening. Then brain opens for a day if I put in some marine snow. They are not decaying, they just won't open. Could a poor quality skimmer cause this? Hard corals need "cleaner" water than softs right? All my softs are fine, water tests are all good.

killyah

how long have you had them? have you moved them to a diffrent location lately? what is ur calcium level at? and alk? you said water test are good ! can u tell us what they are? might help a bit..

i like fish

I've had them for 3 weeks, the brain is a little more open today (I moved it to a spot with less current). I leave them in a spot for 3 days and look for signs of improvement. I was told to put both in low current. The brain is on the sand, the frogspawn is about 4-6 inches up on the rock.
Last weekends tests had calcium at 460 and alk at 9-10 DKH.

mlm

The calcium and alk are fine what about nitrates? Also what type of lighting do you have?

sgt__york

if ur saying 4 total VHO - i think that is 440 watts not 640 watts - but still penty for those corals
*watching post - as these are likely my next 2 coral purchases and im'in the same type of setup*

sgt__york

ahh.. didn't realize 6ft'ers
explains the lighting
however - still intrigueling listening for more responces to the originally posted problem :)
my next couple coral purchases will most likely be a frogspawn, fox and perhaps hammer - as soon as I get my tanks calcium system setup and maintained for a few weeks.
Want to know what to look for, if i find myself in this fella's situation :)

attml

Not real sure what is going on there - a bummer to say the least! Can't help with the Brain because I have never had one but will tell you what I do for my Frogspawn. To give you a point of reference my Frogspawn opened up the morning after adding it to my tank. It was starting to open after the lights went out. It's fullness varys from day to day and at different times of the day. I have it placed in the lower 3rd of my tank in fairly low current. My lighting is 2 x 65w 10000K daylight & 2 X 65W 7100K Blue Actenic power compacts. I keep the Alk a little on the high side and ph between 8.2-8.4. Water temp is about 78. The one thing that I do that I think helps keep all of my corals happy is dose Kent Marine Strontium & Molybdenum (And Kent TECH CB part A & B - but your CA & ALk seem OK). Am not sure if there is anything here that you aren't doing, but if not give it a shot! Good luck!