Hard, Green, Algae...

microman2k

well on both my tanks i have developed a hard green algae...no matter what we do it wont come off...its sorta a bright green too...but no matter how hard we scrape it just wont come off...what is it and how do i get it off?:notsure:

microman2k

how can u tell if its coraline or not...to me it looks like green algae...its just really hard and on the sides of the glass

yellowtail

its a sign of a maturing good established tank.you could buy one of those kent algae scrapers to get it off. its pretty tough to get off.

beckzilla

Micro, i have had the same problem and the side of a credit card (Visa preferably)
works great and wont scratch the glass or acrylic.

clarkiiboi

Yep an old credit card and some elbow grease will do the trick. Followed with daily magna float rounds (or whatever you have to clean the glass), even if you see nothing. I slacked, and I have to do it all over again!

montidanae

coraline alage, dosent look as good as the pink or purple, but still a good sign, i get tons and tons of this stuff, im scraping it off contantly every week!, hopefull my pink/purple coraline will recover form the change in lights and take off, i have noticed some nice dark purple coraline starting, COME ON LITTLE GUYS!!!

microman2k

thanks a lot.....i thought i was doing something wrong.....i will try a credit card tommorow....we learned all about algea today...it was a weird consciedence....about diatoms and everything...but thanks everyone for the help and i am hopin the credit card will work!:nervous:

hirock

You might want to check your PO4-Calc-Alk-Mag levels. Try raising the Alk levels and use some sort of chemical bag or absorber to reduce your PO4 levels. Limit the amount of food(s) containing phosphate. This will help to reduce and proliferation of undesirable algaes.
GL

microman2k

the credit card was awesome! it worded GREAT!! it looks so much better cause all that green coraline was on the front of the tank....i think what did it was that i had the pump in a new area of the tank where it must not have circulated much and that i acc left the phosphate filters in a week too long:eek: