hard green bubble things

homer

Ive got a few on my live-rock that i just noticed. Are they ok? or should i pick em off. They look like small peas bunched together about 4 or 5 of them. Theyre also hard.
[This message has been edited by Homer (edited 05-06-2000).]

ty

Hi, I had alot of the stuff, it's called bubble algae, I bought an emerald crab, and he ate it till it was gone. Maybe this will work for you before it spreads, and it does really fast.

clayton

Possibly Grape caulerpa - but this is easily identifiaable. Otherwise may be 'Sailors Eye Balls'. Both of these are good. S.E.B. is rarer and makes a nice addition. Give a bit more detail

jt

These are collections of gas from fish waste. They are almost pretty, but they do increase in number. To remove them, scrape them off with a big spoon or something similar. They are harmless, as far as I know.....

T

tattooedlife

Wooo, this is a good sign your rock is thriving. Don't scrape them off!!! You would know if it was bubble algea, Bubble algea is soft and most of the time clear.

drillbit

JT - who told you it was gas from fish waste??? I have never heard that before.
If it is translucent-dark green, it is probably bubble algae, if it is opaque and a lighter-green, then it is grape calerpua(sp). The bubble algae isnt a problem unless it gets out of hand, that is where the emerald crab comes in....

kass

Sure sounds like valonia, bubble algae to me. I've battled with the stuff before and it is hard to the touch until you pop it. Try to remove them without breaking them as they contain spores and will produce many more. I had all different kinds small large oval and round. I got rid of it by growing caulerpa to choke it out. I had a bad case of it because I thought it looked cool at first hehe. I now keep emerald crabs in both my tanks to eat it.

jt

The fish store owner told me. I also read it in a book once upon a time. He said they are collections of methane gas.

homer

I scraped em off, but now im starting to see a few more clumps of em on the underside of my live-rock. I found a clump of about 15 all together on one rock. I havent touched them yet. Im waiting for a few days while i look into it a little further.

kmr

Kass has it right. I would improve water conditions as high nitates will keep them alive. An Emerald Crab will rid them.