Hard water stains on glass?

T

tmy880

Any way to remove the hard water stains in the glass tank. It is in the first week of cycling.
Thanks

T

tmy880

What kind of scrub pad, like an SOS or something or something bought from the LFS.

michaud65

I wouldn't use an SOS. Don't those pads have soap in them? I bought an algae scraper from the lfs and it worked great for me along with being safe for the tank!

ifirefight

Originally Posted by tmy880
Any way to remove the hard water stains in the glass tank. It is in the first week of cycling.
Thanks
I have bought a few used freshwater tanks with the same problem. I have tried everything with no luck.. Lots of people say vinegar and scrub pad,it did not work for me. I had a small tank so I even tried STRAIGHT Muriatic acid :scared: Did NOT work. I think the hard minerals in the tap water permenently etch the glass. I have had the same issue with glass shower doors. I have bought used Saltwater tanks and have not seen this problem...probably due to people using RO/DI water.

oak

Originally Posted by ifirefight
I have bought a few used freshwater tanks with the same problem. I have tried everything with no luck.. Lots of people say vinegar and scrub pad,it did not work for me. I had a small tank so I even tried STRAIGHT Muriatic acid :scared: Did NOT work. I think the hard minerals in the tap water permenently etch the glass. I have had the same issue with glass shower doors. I have bought used Saltwater tanks and have not seen this problem...probably due to people using RO/DI water.
Same here I can't seem to get it off with anything.

laxzach

I have a tank with vinegar in it right now. I will see if that will clean it up but if it doesnt I plan on getting out the pressure washer, I am almost positive that will take care of the job.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by Laxzach
I have a tank with vinegar in it right now. I will see if that will clean it up but if it doesnt I plan on getting out the pressure washer, I am almost positive that will take care of the job.
What odds can I get???? LOL.. I hope it works,keep us posted
If you Google this it will show all kinds of miricle products out there,I highly doubt any work though.

cosguy23

I've used this on fresh water aquariums and used them again for fresh water and it didn't do anything to the fish...... but do the vinegar soak (I did 2 parts vinegar to 1 part water) and soak for three days then drain it.....Don't let it dry out again...... use some baking soda paste to scrub the rest off... .. (baking soda paste= add water to some baking soda til it's pastey) it work like a charm....but like I said I never did it with saltwater just fresh water.................I would wait and see if anyone on this board has an opinion on this....