Harlequin Shrimp

fishy4991

I'm thinking about getting a pair of these. I know they eat starfish only. Any info or stories on these?

I have one and love him! It's true, he'll only eat starfish.
I'll feed him a chocolate chip starfish every 3-4 weeks. He'll immediately run to the starfish, sedate it (?), and then flip it over and begin the meal. It'll take him about 3 weeks to finish the starfish leg-by-leg. The first two starfish I fed him, the shrimp ate some of the starfish and left the rest to die after about 2 weeks. I think he's getting better at slowly eating the entire starfish over the span of 3-4 weeks.
The shrimp is extremely beautiful and fun to watch when he doesn't have a starfish to munch on (about a week in-between starfish). Otherwise, he's usually munching down on the starfish, and claiming his victory, that he's dragged to his hideout.
Overall, he is my favorite invert and adds a lot of beauty and color to my reef.

A

alexmir

What size tank is he in, and have you had any trouble keeping stable parameters?

kevin34

I have always wanted to try a pair of these. After all the research I did I think it would be easiest to keep them in a species only tank.

He is in a 100g reef. I've had no problem keeping stable parameters that I am aware of. I haven't had any loss of fish or inverts. I have lost snails (not exactly sure why), but have kept other shrimp, corals, anemones, nas. snails, and brittle stars for over 2 years with no problems. I haven't been testing my parameters that often lately, but with nothing dying off, I assume these are stable. Hope this helps.