Harlequin tusk vs. hermits

olemiss

I added an Australin tusk to my 150 a couple of days ago and it is doing fine. I took a few aggressive hermits(they were large and decimating my snails) out of my 55 for him to chomp on. I have been patiently waiting for him enjoy his live snacks but to my dismay he is ignoring them. The tusk is about 6 inches and the hermits shells are about the size of a quarter. Are the hermits too big or am I just impatient?

small triggers

If hes like my triggers, they just like to play with them, rip them outta their shells and chase them, they dont normally eat them because they are hungry, but they do eventually eat them

srfisher17

Please re-post in a week and let us know how he enjoyed the crabs. Most fish take some time to return to their normal habits. My tusks have always loved hermits; I often get some when I order online as a "filler:" item. BTW; try a fresh clam from the grocery store, pried open. Tusks, and most fish go absolutely nuts for these.

aquaknight

My old 5.5" Indo used to enjoy 'playing' with the hermits as well. He'd pick up some smaller ones, about an inch in shell length, and mouth the hell out of them. But I guess his jaw wasn't strong enough to crush the shell, so he'd spit them out after a bit. He loved jumbo shrimp though, was able to split a 4" live white shrimp, in half!