Harlequin Tusk

lion_crazz

Chandler, no way would I advise putting a harlequin tusk in a 55 gallon tank. The tusk is going to skulk in the tank because he wants room to swim. It doesn't matter if you are going to take him back if he isn't doing well. What about the fish? Doesn't the fish's health matter? He may look cool and everything, but you need to think of the fish first. You already have two large fish, the yellow tang and lionfish. Is putting a tusk in your 55 going to make him happy? Of course not..
Oh, and tusks definitely do live in both Australia and indo-pacific waters.

I

irenicus

I have an "Aussie" Tusk and I have been quite happy with him. Good personality and very active. He will eventually need more room however.
I've noticed it's chancy to mix him with other wrasses. I had success mixing with a Lunare Wrasse and failed mixing him with a Green Bird wrasse (Halequin harassing him

[hr]
.) I've noticed on several occasions, with different fish of the same species, that Tusks seemed to be a favorite of Empreror Angels to pick on. I do not know if this holds true with all Large Angels.
Ensure your tank is covered because these fish swim with intensity and speed... often near the top of the water... they will jump if the opportunity presents itself.
I believe an "Aussie" Tusk is a good choice not only due to it's striking color and brilliant uniqueness, but it's intriquing personality and community suitability.

chandler04

I woukld've traded in the yellow in order to get the harlequin. But, im gonna stick with wat I got. I like my snails and hermits, and tusks are too expensive. Someday.... The lion is fine. Think, do they REALLY need that much room to swim? All they do is sit around all day, and wen they do move, it is slowly and gracefully. And there are some from the indo pacific, and they are uglier anywy, paler and not as good lookingness.

squidd

Originally posted by Chandler04
... The lion is fine. Think, do they REALLY need that much room to swim? All they do is sit around all day, and wen they do move, it is slowly and gracefully...

When my Lion was 6"-8" he looked good in my 125...When he got to 10" he was starting to look "crowded".
With his fins spread out there were plces in the tank (with the rock work) he was "touching" when he turned around...
Now at 12"+ he looks "comfortable" in the 210...
I could not see him fitting in a 55 for life...:nope: