Harlequin Tusk ?

Ok so when I got in this hobby I told myself. Id never by a $100 fish. But his Harlequin Tusk fish really interests me.
Does anybody have one that can tell me there behaiver. How big do they get? Will he be ok in my 180gal tank. Its going to be a aggressive tank.

ackdaddy

you will fine in a 180 aggresive. i have one in a 90 w/ a huma huma, lunare wrasse, and yellow tang. there are 2 kinds of tusks, one is from australia and has more intense colors, while the other i believe is from indonesia. but dont hold that against me. full size is around 10 inches i think. mine only gets aggresive during feeding time. he eats pellets, silversides, krill, prawn, and some formula a. im pleased with my investment..............yeah i said that i would never buy a 100 dollar fish too.......lol

Would you say they are a pretty hardy fish. The only reason im even considering spending this much is because it looks like I mite win $20 on the photocontest. Thanks SWF..

bullitr

they are less aggresive than most wrasse. they are very shy at first . one of my favorite fish . i wish i can keep them again but the eat shrimp if you can get one that eats frozen food it will be great or something thats been sitting in your lfs for a while . i had 3 of them when i had my aggressive tank .

srfisher17

These are fantastic fish; I've had one in every FOWLR I've had for years. They don't bother anything (except inverts), eat just about anything, become very active and tame (When they get used to things), and they add a lot of activity. Mine spits water thru his blue teeth at feeding time, scaring little kids that are visiting, its great. Get an Aussie if you can; they're prettier (more blue in the rear half, redder tail, etc) and hardier (probably because the Aussies handle their collection process better.Aussies are also more $.The one I lost in Katrina was 11 years old. BTW; they, like most wrasse, WILL jump--my older one hit the floor a while back, but recovered. I mentioned on another post that we should not promote these fish, they are expensive enough! But I have two, in separate tanks, and expect them to live for years.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by 987654321
What size tanks do you have them in?
One in a 240 & 1 in a 125. I kept one in Ms. for 11 yrs in a 75 and he was fine.

pastor b.

Dear Hobbyist ,I too have an Australian Harlequin Tusk fish in my 150 . I've been told that they'll eat crustaceans like my coral banded shrimp . But , he doesn't even bother my cbs at all. I feed it brine shrimp and krill . When I feed it krill ,I enjoy hearing it making crunching sounds as it chews . Its very colorful and hardy . And nobody bothers it ,not even my tangs. I'm enjoying this fish .

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Pastor B.
Dear Hobbyist ,I too have an Australian Harlequin Tusk fish in my 150 . I've been told that they'll eat crustaceans like my coral banded shrimp . But , he doesn't even bother my cbs at all. I feed it brine shrimp and krill . When I feed it krill ,I enjoy hearing it making crunching sounds as it chews . Its very colorful and hardy . And nobody bothers it ,not even my tangs. I'm enjoying this fish .

Glad your tusk is doing well! They really are peaceful fish, aren't they? A little off the thread; but I would ditch the brine, very little nutritional value. There was a very informative article posted here a while back. Mysiss shrimp is much better. Tusks also do well on bite size chunks of raw shrimp, squid, or scallop and Formula I. If you use freeze dried krill, soak it in Selcon first; a great way to get vitamins into the fish. (Works with frozen food too)

clekchau

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Glad your tusk is doing well! They really are peaceful fish, aren't they? A little off the thread; but I would ditch the brine, very little nutritional value. There was a very informative article posted here a while back. Mysiss shrimp is much better. Tusks also do well on bite size chunks of raw shrimp, squid, or scallop and Formula I. If you use freeze dried krill, soak it in Selcon first; a great way to get vitamins into the fish. (Works with frozen food too)
most are peaceful but NOT all, i have one in a 600 gallon and he goes after my lutescens wrasse and fights with my princess parrotfish during feeding and overall is pretty bossy

srfisher17

Originally Posted by clekchau
most are peaceful but NOT all, i have one in a 600 gallon and he goes after my lutescens wrasse and fights with my princess parrotfish during feeding and overall is pretty bossy
I doubt that there is anything that could be said about any species of fish that didn't have an exception somewhere. Harlequins are a wrasse and are probably more likely to quarrel with other wrasse than other fish; just a guess.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by stdreb27
Why would you not promote these fish?
I do promote them every chance I get; that was just a sarcastic remark about their cost.
As to reef safe; both sites I use say to just "monitor with shrimp"; I've never personally had one in a reef tank.

stdreb27

I do promote them every chance I get; that was just a sarcastic remark about their cost.
As to reef safe; both sites I use say to just "monitor with shrimp"; I've never personally had one in a reef tank.
Just wondering that is the next one on my list.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by stdreb27
Just wondering that is the next one on my list.
Great fish! Get an Aussie if you can, prettier and hardier, IMO. Better hurry, they tend to be unavailable in the winter.

stdreb27

Great fish! Get an Aussie if you can, prettier and hardier, IMO. Better hurry, they tend to be unavailable in the winter.
well, I've got fish in qt's going into the tank and that is going to be in for a few months, gonna play with my filtration some more. Then in spring It will be time for a few more.

aquaknight

Really? I just started noticing them being readily available about the end of Spetember. With it turning summer down in Australia, I thought it would be more available in the coming months? Or is it that it's getting winter here the distrubtors stop importing them?
I beliefly had a 5" Tusk for about a month and a half before I lost him to Ich. Introduced my a new fish I was to stupid to quarantine. He was sold as an Indo, but he was every bit as red and blue as any Australian I've seen. If you plan on buying one online I would go strictly with a Australian, but if you're planning through a LFS, either will work, depending the fish is eating strong and no obivous cynaide effects. I have my QT tanks ready, but was waiting till after X-mas to setup them up/buy fish. Might have to get my butt in gear instead.

hammerhed7

Great fish, spend the extra on an aussie,
i have one in my 220. eats anything and everything once established