harvesting tips???

memole

I have a bunch of Xenia and I have a couple friends that want some. I would like to "cut" it back a bit anyways so it really helps me out as well as gets them some of the stuff. any tips on how to cut it down and still keep it healthy for another tank. thanks guys for the help!!!!

ross

Cut the stalk off as close to the base as possible. Then take a toothpick and stick it through the base far enough towards the top so it wont rip out. Take a small rock and put the xenia on the rock, use a rubberband to attach it. Wrap it around the rock and loop it over both sides of the toothpick.
Give me a couple minuets i will frag some and take pics......

debbie

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here and ask a question. I have xenia that is to me wasting away. When I bought it the trunks were like yours very fat and full. Now mine is very thin looking and I was wanting to know what I am doing wrong?
The LFS I bought it from had it under regular flourescent lights nothing special, this tank they have is something else and that xenia has been in there for quite sometime too and thriving.
I have a 10 gal nano and my lights are 2 20 watt each pc 50/50 coralife lights. My mushrooms are doing just great and spreading everywhere but I really want my xenia to do something or at least get to that plump stage again. Should I move it up higher on the rock work? I have it on the bottom right now.
Appreciate any help :help:

memole

thanks for the detail pics and step by steps!!!!! thats what I like about this forum.....everybody is so helpful!. thanks again
Chris

memole

BTW how long does it take to get back to normal???? does that toothpick and rubberband keep it from moving around to another rock??? or should it go from the attachment with toothpick right to the other tank??? thanks again

ross

Pull the toothpick all the way out. Theres no reason to leave it there. You can do this about 3 days after you frag it....it is usually attached by then.

montidanae

sometimes the Xenia covers the whole pick, and you cant pull it out without detaching the Xenia, or hurting it, whats why i liek to cut the Xneia and just press it against the rock with chessecloth to keep it in place, wont hurt it, less stress ful and easier...