has anyone ever used a ozoneizer?

kolody117

has anyone out there ever used an ozonizer? I was thinking of buying a Red Sea Aquazone plus Deluxe ozonizer and I wasnt sure what size I needed for a 55 gallon tank. the 50/100/ or 200? Can anyone help me?

acrylic51

The Red Seas are nice units......Be sure to purchase the controller package not just the ozonizer......Not really sure how the sizing is, but I know if you do a search you can find what they recommend as far as dosing it

T

thomas712

Yeah I have one, don't really use it. Once in a while I get a wild hair and pull it out, but I really have not used it in the last year or so.
Question is why do you want one?
Thomas

kolody117

my LFS has one on his 300 acrylic. and it has done an amazing job on his water quality. I have a little yellow tint to my water and a little hair algae around the tank and my lfs said a unit like this would clean it up.

T

thomas712

If you run some carbon then you can clean that yellow tint right out. Check your nitrates and phosphates, that may be the source of your hair algae. I really don't see the need for this piece of equipment on a 55 gallon tank.
This is also a device that you will want to run carbon with whenever you run it, you will not want 03 in the tank itself.
I assume then that you have a protien skimmer that you can hook this ozonizer up to the air intake?
Is this also a reef tank?
I have the 100 model, but like I said I don't use it anymore. Kills way to many larvae that I want to live like pods.
Thomas

squidd

Originally Posted by golfish
Going to be setting up the Red Sea 100mg with controller this week.
I'd like to hear the results of that..
I'm seriously considering setting one up on my aggressive to increase ORP/water quality and not a lot of currant info out there on on effective dosage and results...
My buddies got one on his tank, and I like the "looks" but am leery of giving all the credit to the Ozonizer.... (Kind of like "I have a UV and never had ick"...?? How do you "know" it's the UV...? or just part of the bigger picture...?)

kolody117

yes I have a coralife needlewheel superskimmer. I am a little confused however. what do you mean by kills 03? and where do I run carbon?

T

thomas712

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...ighlight=ozone
True ozone is O3, 3 oxygen atoms, it is said that while in this form it can damage the gills and other organs of the fish if it enters the water column, its been debated. Usually the ozonizer is conected to the skimmer, and the output of the skimmer goes through carbon where the ozone reverts back to )O2. Sorry best I can remember cause I haven't studied it in quite some time.
Thomas

my way

I used to have a 150 gallon tank full of aggresive fish so I had no way to control the algae (no chance of a cleanup crew with a tank full of triggers wrasses and large angels). I hooked up an ozone unit to my skimmer and the algae problem was almost non existant after that. I don't remember what type or size it was. If I was to do it again I would definately use it with a redox controller. This was before refugiums were the norm and wet dry filters were just beginning to be popular. Alot has changed since then though. So my advice might not be worth you know what.

acrylic51

If injecting ozone through the skimmer, the output of the skimmer should be run through carbon to remove any traces of 03.......You will notice a difference in the color of skimmate the skimmer produces as well when running ozone......I know the Red Sea Ozonizer comes with instructions that gives a guideline as to how much to inject (mg per hour)......

golfish

I'm going to try and use a reactor rather then my brand new skimmer to inject ozone...We're still working on it.

golfish

Originally Posted by Squidd
I'd like to hear the results of that..
I'm seriously considering setting one up on my aggressive to increase ORP/water quality and not a lot of currant info out there on on effective dosage and results...
My buddies got one on his tank, and I like the "looks" but am leery of giving all the credit to the Ozonizer.... (Kind of like "I have a UV and never had ick"...?? How do you "know" it's the UV...? or just part of the bigger picture...?)

Most guys who post about these talk about how clear their tanks looks. I'm using Zeovit right now to rid the tank of alage. I'm going to find it hard to believe that an ozoniser can do as good of job as Zeovit does.
I'm not promoting Zeovit but it sure can clear up a tank. I might wait a week or two before setting up the Ozoniser. I want to play with Zeovit a little longer, plus I've been reading it takes a week for the ORP meterprobe to run stable.
I've also found that my tank "Jones's" when I stop Zeovit....darn drugs

kolody117

i think I am sold on the idea, I ordered the 100 and will keep posting its progress once its recieved and hooked up

tony detroit

I run a 50 mg/hr on my 175 and it works fine to keep the ORP up around 350ish.
Your water will be noticeably clearer in one day, and much clearer in a week.
I did notice a difference when running ozone, and I don't think you're going to starve out your tank by running one. I pretty much have zero algae between that and my UV sterilizer. And UV works too, I've added to several tanks in the past after setting them up and you can noticeably see better health/skin/color/behavior on your fish within a couple weeks. I don't have time/space to do quarantine or hypo.
If you're going to do one or the other, get the UV. If you're going to do both, get the ozone too.
A good, high flow, high wattage UV will do about the same as ozone and a bit more to boot.

tony detroit

Originally Posted by golfish
I'm going to try and use a reactor rather then my brand new skimmer to inject ozone...We're still working on it.
Does the reactor water then go to the skimmer?
I don't know anybody running reactors personally, have always been curious though. Probably better than beating up the ridiculously expensive pumps on the high-end skimmers.
You get that GEO up and running yet?

bigmac

Originally Posted by tony detroit
Does the reactor water then go to the skimmer?
I don't know anybody running reactors personally, have always been curious though. Probably better than beating up the ridiculously expensive pumps on the high-end skimmers.
You get that GEO up and running yet?

Tony,
I've been running the ozone though my Geo skimmer for about 10 days now. I'm not to happy with the way the skimmer works with the ozone. A buddy gave an old Berlin skimmer with the carbon cup on top. I set that up a few minutes ago. We'll see how that goes. I did buy a Coralife Ozone reactor, its cheap and looks just like the Phosban reactors. Its sitting in the junk box with the rest of my junk.
My ORP was 185 :scared: kind of makes me wonder why I've been having such a hard time with this new tank. I've got it up to 310 right now, I'm starting to see big changes in my corals, changes for the better

acrylic51

Hey BigMac!!!!!!!! What did you notice with your skimmer?? Not pulling what it use to??? I went to That Pet Place to buy a Phosban reactor a while ago and noticed also that the Ozone reactors by Coralife are identical, except for the bioballs in it.......Supposedly it's better to run it through a reactor chamber, but I've never done it that way though

bigmac

Shawn,
The skimmate turned real dry and it was hard to keep the skimmer adjusted properly, when the generator shut off the cup would overflow. Once I get the ORP up where I want it I might go back to the skimmer. George said I should have no problems with the skimmer other then the plastic

[hr]
used for the venturi intake.
I've been running the Berlin for a few days now, its works fine but the skimmer is now competing with the ozone, I feel it doesn't have much to pull out..
My PO4's sure shot up when I stopped the Zeovit..I wonder if killing all that nice Zeo bacteria with the ozone had anything to do with it :)
I'm still playing with things, we'll see.