has anyone ever

ksheely

put a powerhead in the main tank, hook a tube to it and feed it into a regrigum and the drill a hole in the refrigum and use that to put it back into the tank using gravity, i want to do this because i dont want to take my 20 gallon down just to get it drilled and i dont trust overflows, so o was gonna do this with a plastic sump and drill it

sonny

That would work okay, but I'd recommend you put a bulkhead fitting with a short pipe where it is flowing out, that way it would keep it from possibly seeping across the bottom of it and leak. You could also get a strainer to fit the bulkhead to keep your caulerpa from getting sucked in.
Sonny

nm reef

ksheely....that is pretty much how I feed my refugium...I use a hagen power head to pump from my display to the refugium and 2 return lines from refugium back to display...gravity return thru the wall....works great...... :cool:

nosmada

thats how i did mine except instead of drilling a hole i melted the plexi and bent it to make a spout to pour back into the tank.
chris

botp2k1

ksheely, you will basically be doing the same as an overflow and you stated you do not trust overflows.

botp2k1

ksheely, if I understand correctly, you will pump water from your tank via a PH up to a rubbermaid container which is drilled and fitted with a bulkhead and pipe which drains back down into the tank. The flow from the refugium will be gravity fed. If the bulkhead is blocked or restricted in any way which causes a slowdown in flow, the PH will continue to pump water to the refugium until either the refugium over flows or the water level in the tank drops until the PH no longer has suction.
Make sure there will be nothing near the bulkhead and the refugium has enough extra volume for the PH to pump up until it does not work in case there is a blockage.