Has anyone every been stung by a lionfish???

blueberryboomer

Ok guys and gals, I need to get into the tank to fix my red algea, the fish have pulled some lose. My question is this: Has anyone every been poke by thier lionfish? What happens to you, what do you do? I mean do you get sick, die or what? I'm just asking because with my luck, the way it goes I'll get poked. I hope not, but.....
Thanks for any info. Later Lisa :eek:

grouperhead

no you wont die unless you have a real bad reaction. what will happen is if you get stung, it will feel like your hand is being pounded with a flaming hammer while being stuck with hot needles at the same time. the best thing to do is put your wound under the hottest water tolerable to take out the poison. then monitor it very carefully. you could probably put some cream on it but i dont know for sure. bo

blueberryboomer

Grouperhead, Thank the Lord I won't die.
I will make sure to keep my eyes on him, that sounds very painful...Thanks for the info...Later Lisa

pufferlover

One of the tank cleaners at a lfs I used to visit was stung by a Lion while cleaning its tank. He ended up in the hospital for a day due his reaction to the sting. Holding under hot water is what the books say to do but to be safe one should go to a Doctor or ER to be sure no reaction sets in, it can take a few hours to do so as it did in that fellows case.

goofieones

I have read it is a little worse than a bee sting, and if you have allergies to bee stings, you best get yourself to an ER quick if you get stung.

blueberryboomer

Thanks for the info, as it turns out fixit fixed the algea for me when he opened the tank up to feed. I always hear that they have poision in thier top fins, but I had never heard what it would do to you. I wanted to know, just in case....
I swear to God this guy likes to be talked to, I sat infront of the tank last night and started talking to him and he came right up to the glass like he was listening to me. How cool....Later Lisa :D

blueberryboomer

Saltwater4me, I love that, it makes me feel like someone besides fixit is actually listening to me. Our Niger Trigger does the same thing. Soo Cool! I Love this hobby!
Later Lisa
P.S I'm glad you decided to stay.. :D

pufferlover

My Blue moon Angel at night makes a groaning sound while the lights are out. The first time I heard it I couldn't figure what it was till I read a article about them doing that. It is load enough to be heard in the next room and a little unnerving if one didn't know it is natural for them to do that.

blueberryboomer

Pufflover, That is really neat, before I would have found out what is was though it would have scared the CRAP out of me...These fish are the coolest..They don't even compaire to the freshys.
Saltwater4me, our niger has such a cool personality, he loves the camera, when ever I get close to the tank with it he is right there, I swear he don't like me taken pics of anyone put him, I've had to trash a ton of them because he darts in front of whoever I'm trying to take a pic of, he like to come to the top of the tank at feeding time and spit water at us. To Cool!
Later Lisa

pufferlover

I to have tried to get good pictures of my BIG PORK pair. I don't have a camera so a friend comes over every so often to take pictures for me for our club site but when he gets near the Puff tank they turn their backs and go to the back of the tank facing the back glass. They only do this when strangers get close to the tank but if I am there they will face front for me except when the camera is there. We have tried about 4 times now and the only shot we have is one of them in a corner and it is a bit to dark to see them well.

playtime

Blueberry
I am suprised that lionfish did not respond here. I think he has been stung if I remember correctly. I thought that when I first got mine (fuzzy dwarf lion) that he would stay towards the back as he had been but now, as soon as I lift the lid to feed, he comes strait for my hand. So, I decided that cleaning the tank would be a little harder than I thought. My husdband is going to have a piece of plexiglass cut to fit the opening of the tank so that I can use it as a baracade while cleaning. I know he wouldn't intentionally sting me (I hope) but I don't want to accidently brush against him either. When cleaning, I only clean the front glass with my hand submerged the rest is done with a siphon. I think I should be safe with the barrier. I am sure that lionfish has a few pointers for us, Right Lionfish?
playtime

howlnsound

YES I HAVE BEEN STUNG, I WAS CLEANING MY 125 AND ONE OF MY LIONS, A BLACK VOLITIAN, SNUCK UP BEHIND ME AND GOT ME IN THE HAND, THROUGH A REALLY THICK RUBBER, AQUARIUM GLOVE, IT REALLY HURTS! BUT IF YOUR NOT ALLERGIC TO BEE STINGS YOULL BE FINE, IF YOU ARE, GET TO THE HOSPITAL FAST. IT COULD KILL YOU DEPENDING ON YOUR REACTION. IF NOT, IT WILL JUST HURT LIKE CRAZY FOR A WEEK OR SO. PUT WHATEVER WAS STUNG IN THE HOTTEST WATER YOU CAN STAND FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN. IT BREAKS DOWN THE TOXIN. YOU'LL START TO FEEL RELIEF SOON.