Has anyone kept an anemone more than a year?

kjohansen

I am curious how many of you have had an anemone live more than two years? I was reading a Clown Fish book tonight and she was stating that most carpet anemones will not live in an aquarium. Anyone have one of these? I see some of you have BTA's, she does state that they have a better chance of surviving longer.
I am curious! I used to have them, long before the MH lights came around and even better tests for water quality and ways to correct it.
So please do tell!

rod buehle

There are different types of carpets and some are easier to keep than others. S. Haddoni are the easiest of the carpets and many people have good success. A lot of research is needed before obtaining an anemone. Bubble tips are much hardier and easier to keep. Especially if you can get a captive clone.
(how long ago were you trying keep anemones, that they didnt have halides?)
I have 1 S.gigantea (carpet) that has been with me for 14 years, another for nearly 3 years. (This is not the norm for giganteas. I guess I am extremely lucky) My BTA has been with me for 7-8 years. My H.Mag I have had for 2 years...
Again A LOT of research is required before you purchase. Many will recommend not keeping anemones in a reef, but IME, people will do it anyway. Just research first.
There is a pretty good article that was just posted on another site on Carpet anemones. Specifically S.gigantea, but info on other carpets as well. Im not sure if I can post a link here, but I will email it to any that are interested. (There are some awesome photos of S.gigantea with some Awesome looking clowns in the article :) )
Did I mention that everyone should do some research first :).

babyb

wow14 years thats amazing, can we see pics of it, how big was it when you got it and how big is it now

kjohansen

Originally Posted by Rod Buehle
Rod, thanks for your very informative post! My first tank was about 1980. MH lights were getting popular in the 90's. I had take down my 55 reef after the kids broke my sump and drained a fair amount of it all over the floor.
I would be interested to read the other post. I will email you if you give me yours.. Or you can shoot me an email at kjohansen@6-7-8-pix.com

A

alix

ugh. my annenome is bulletproof.
and i hate it.
and no lfs will buy it.
and im too attached to let it go for free.

kjohansen

Originally Posted by alix
ugh. my annenome is bulletproof.
and i hate it.
and no lfs will buy it.
and im too attached to let it go for free.
What is it?

grownazzman

Originally Posted by Rod Buehle
There are different types of carpets and some are easier to keep than others. S. Haddoni are the easiest of the carpets and many people have good success. A lot of research is needed before obtaining an anemone. Bubble tips are much hardier and easier to keep. Especially if you can get a captive clone.
I have 1 S.gigantea (carpet) that has been with me for 14 years, another for nearly 3 years. (This is not the norm for giganteas. I guess I am extremely lucky) My BTA has been with me for 7-8 years. My H.Mag I have had for 2 years...
Again A LOT of research is required before you purchase. Many will recommend not keeping anemones in a reef, but IME, people will do it anyway. Just research first.
There is a pretty good article that was just posted on another site on Carpet anemones. Specifically S.gigantea, but info on other carpets as well. Im not sure if I can post a link here, but I will email it to any that are interested. (There are some awesome photos of S.gigantea with some Awesome looking clowns in the article :) )
could you shoot me the link also Thag1958@aol.com

kjohansen

Rod,
How big are your tanks that you keep the gigantas in? Anything else in them besides the anenomes and the clowns?

rod buehle

Originally Posted by KJohansen
Rod,
How big are your tanks that you keep the gigantas in? Anything else in them besides the anenomes and the clowns?
the purple gigantea is in a 24x24x16h, and the brown is in a 36x36x16h. I only keep frags and temporary corals in with the brown, and the purple one shares a tank with mostly zoanthids and a few random stonies and SPS. The brown one has been attached to the same rock for 11+ years, and the purple hasnt moved in over 2 years. My BTA also stays stationary.

fishy7

My rose is at 14 months and has been attached to same rock the entire time. He has doubled in size. Hope he does not split....
My GBTA is at 20 months. He has split 2 times so now I have 3 of them.....All are doing great..... I think with good water quality and a well established/stable system you can have a gaood amount of success.

kjohansen

Most of what I have gleaned with anemones.. Really good water flow and excellent water quality. Learning what that type of food that anenome eats. Of course some will want better lighting than others.