has anyone tried a cold water tank?

stephen33

I live on the coast of maine and have kept fish for a number of years but just only got into salt water about a year ago. I lobster in the summers and catch some very beautiful fish and crabs and was wondering if a salt water tank could be set up that could hold them. You would be surfprised at how similar some of the aminals are we dont really have coral but we do get some nice pruple live rock and very nice yellow and orange anemones along with blue lobsters and many small flounder and eals. my dad owns a copany that makes chillers and he has offered to make me one for keeping trout in my room so i think i could get that taken care of but i was just wondering if it has been done sucessfuly because im not sure how different salt content and lighting would need to be.

arkreefer

Just take a water sample when your out lobstering. And do all the normal tests on it. And that should give you a pretty accurate reading on what your water parameters should be. I would be interested to see what the water temps would be in deeper waters off your coast.

conch

Steve Weast keeps a cold water out in Oregon, he samples from the the Puget Sound, and would be a good one to discuss about it. Unfortunatly ?He is dealing with the Very Sad Crash of his 850 gal reef that was one of the most beautiful tanks ever created...
Google "Oregon Reef" to get his website, there is an Email link off of that. Good luck and post lost of pictures if you try it.

shogun323

Originally Posted by The J.O.P.
whoa the 850 crashed?!!! how did you find out about this. it is very sad!! it was a beautiful tank!!!!
I am curious as well. ***)