Has anyone Used One of These

salty cheese

I was thinking of using two of these couplings in my set up, 1 for the stand pipe the other for the return, so if I had to break things down it wouldn't be a complete pain in the arse.
Anyone,anyone?:thinking:

gregvabch

what is that? pieces/parts for a toilet? i thought about using something like that when i was building a fuge but ended up using some pvc and rubber grommets instead.

tree

I believe they are pressure couplings. I looked at those as well. You may want to take a trip to your local plumbers supply and see what they have. We ended up getting some fittings that screw together similiar to this (not as long) but they do not rely on pressure to keep from leaking. A plumber's supply wil be able to tell you what will work with the pipe/tube you will be using.

enomadra

I have used one of these for my swimming pool pluming setup. It is 25 thousand gallons and running a 3hp pump with 25 to 30 PSI through that coupler. I have never had an issue with it leaking or anything else. I use one because I have inline filters to stop large stuff from getting to my pump and they allow me to take the filter off ever now and then for cleaning. :D

salty cheese

So what you guys are saying is, it will work for a return pipe from the sump but not for the stand pipe, because it needs pressure to work properly?:notsure:

B

bluedolphi

These are compression couplings. They seal due to the force of the threaded ends. The ends tighten down on an o-ring and metal sleeve. The water pressure is not what seals them. If this were the case the things would leak every time the pumps shut off on a swimming pool.
You may consider using PVC unions instead. I would.

enomadra

BlueDolphi is dead on. Mine has never leaked even when the pump turns off. Using a union is the way to go I don't know why I did not mention it:notsure: . Anyhow her is a picture of what BlueDolphi is talking about.

K

kistheeze

I go with true union ball valves. This way, I can shut off the ball valve and disconnect the union to service the pump (without having to drain the pipes.)

enomadra

Originally posted by Kistheeze
I go with true union ball valves. This way, I can shut off the ball valve and disconnect the union to service the pump (without having to drain the pipes.)

I have never seen one of these. Is it the same as I have posted above but with a ball valve attached to it in a one pice unit? Or is it just what I have posted above with a ball valve after it?
Picture please if you have one :D

fender

HD and Lowes carry the union ball valves - although thread ones seem to be harder to find there.

K

kistheeze

used google and typed in true union ball valve.
The ones I use are from Lowes. They're white - but essentially identical.

B

bluedolphi

I would hard plumb a ball valve into the line. Then put a seperate union in. I think the union will be a bit more secure.
You want to reduce failure points.
The ball valve is a must have.... I just am not sure it should be compression fitted. I would make the ball valve permanent... and install a union past that. Then you are only looking at one possible failure point (besides the glued joints which should never leak if you plumped correctly).
JMO.