Has my tank already cylced?

dcel22

Hey there I just started a 20 gallon tank. I added the saltwater and southdown on tuesday night, added 32 pounds of live rock last night. It has been 20 hours since I have added the rock and I tested all of my levels and they are all good. No ammonia, or nitrites, and the salt is good. I heard I wouldn't have much of a cycle but could this possibly have been it? I am not going to rush anything (Not gonna add snails for another 2.5 weeks). Also my KH took me 20 drops for 5 ml. I have well water so is this ok?
Thanks.

bang guy

It hasn't cycled.
If you used very well cured live rock then you won't really cycle until you get some type of ammonia source in there. I would suggest you try feeding the tank as if you had a pair of fish in there.

dcel22

Yeah there is a lot of life on the rock. I don't have any saltwater fish food yet. I am assuming that I can just add some of my old freshwater food? Is there a certain amount that I want to add?

elfdoctors

You can add any sort of food or protein source to start your cycle.
The purpose of a cycle is to provide nutrients to jump start the growth of beneficial bacteria. Any protein containing food will break down into amino acids and then ammonia. Bacteria break this down to nitrites and a different set of bacteria breaks this down to nitrates. Most people on this forum use a single uncooked shrimp (one time). If you were to use your old freshwater food you need to add enough to produce an ammonia spike. I would think that you would only need to add a lot of food one time such that there is a layer of food lying on the bottom and then just wait. Usually there will be a bad odor in the tank for several days and the water may get cloudy.
Don't use freshwater food for your fish after your tank has cycled as there are differences in the foods.
Good Luck!

elfdoctors

Originally posted by elfdoctors

I would think that you would only need to add a lot of food one time such that there is a layer of food lying on the bottom and then just wait.
Good Luck!

elfdoctors

I don't know if there is a specific amount recommended. If a single shrimp would work then I would think that a 1/4 cup of food would be plenty.
I remember when I used freshwater food the companies would advertise that the food does not cloud water. This food could have some additives to prevent bacterial growth. This would make it less then ideal to start a cycle. It would eventually still work but could take a lot longer.

bang guy

1/4 is wayyy too much for a 20 gallon.
As I posted earlier, pretend you have a pair of fish and feed accordingly. I would do it daily.

dcel22

hmmmmm....I added about a 1/4 cup last night after, I didn't see your post about that being too much. Anyway I added the flake food about 12 hours ago. I just checked my ammonia and it is .25 mg/l and my nitrites are about 1.0 mg/l. Prior to adding the food both levels were at 0. Would this have been enough to spike it to start the cycle or do you recommend that I still feed as if I have fish in there for 2 weeks or so, or do you think I should just go and get some cocktail shrimp and add one?? I am getting kind of confused here. I don't know a lot but from looking at other rock at pet stores and tanks online and stuff, this rock looks very well cured. Any help would be helpful. Thanks.

dcel22

so should I still keep adding or should I most likely be good for now??
How can I tell that it has "spiked"??
Will I find ammonia to be 5.0 mg/l or more??

bang guy

There's many ways to cycle a tank and the end product is nearly the same. ElfDoctor's method is just as good as mine I'm sure. Just follow the instructions and test for ammonia and nitrite once in a while.
I would expect 1/4 cup of flake in a 20 to spike out near 2.0-3.0ppm ammonia before coming down with a Nitrite spike of 1 - 2ppm immediately following.

dcel22

Originally posted by elfdoctors
[BI remember when I used freshwater food the companies would advertise that the food does not cloud water. This food could have some additives to prevent bacterial growth. This would make it less then ideal to start a cycle. It would eventually still work but could take a lot longer. [/B]
That is why I was thinking of adding the shrimp. Would it be ok to try to remove some food that is on the floor of the tank and then add a shrimp? It would be pretty easy because it is all clumped up in about 3 spots.

elfdoctors

I don't want to be quoted as endorsing using freshwater food to start a tank cycling. Last night I offered a suggestion when noone else was posting. I do not think that the freshwater food is ideal but it will work.
You do not need to add a shrimp now. The food in the tank will work fine. If you have detectable ammonia the bacteria that break it down will reproduce and make nitrites which will stimulate the bacteria that break nitrites down. The food will rot away and you will be able to add your fish. I do not know how much protein is in a raw shrimp compared to fish food but the shrimp is a lot denser.
I would probably just leave the food in there for now. If your ammonia level does go up nicely the remainder of the food could be suctioned up.