Has the cost of rounds gone down, or availability gone up in your neck of the woods?

Just curious now that the dust has somewhat settled with Newtown, what's it been like getting rounds where you are?

Here in Ohio, it's still next to impossible to find any cheap stuff at WalMart, so I have been hitting the local sporting games store. They sell fifty, 9mm FMJ 115 grain rounds for $17.99 a box. Works out to about .35 cents a round. Prior to the school shooting in CT, it was about $12.99 for that same box.

How are things looking in your neck of the woods?

2quills

Bout the same. I wouldn't count on prices dropping anytime soon. The feds are pushing this new regulation to phase out lead bullets in favor of Green Ammo. My guess is that stuff is going to be even more expensive.
The fear of new regulations are still there so the bullet hoarding continues.

darthtang aw

My neck of the woods most rounds have dropped back down in price. Availablity is still hard but not near what it was end of last year. I can usually find anything i want for last years prehoarding prices. .22 lt is the hardest round to find now. If you find it it is about double old pricing. Good thing i got 8000 rounds of that. Should cover my target shooting and majntain a reserve till they even out for a while.

aggiealum

Around Houston, the independent gun shops and the "dealers" that sell at the gun shows do their weekly raids on the ammo stock at Academy, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, etc., do their little markups and resell at the respective places. Most of the major retailers started limiting the number of boxes you can purchase, but the .22LR, 9mm, and .380 don't stay on the shelf regardless. .223 is abundant everywhere.

reefraff

Prices still are high but availability is much better, except for 22 LOL!. A friend in Az had gotten a deal on a bunch of 22 back before the panic hit. Made a nice profit selling off the excess. He had over 30,000 rounds at one point.

reefraff

Haven't moved any rounds but have done some gun buying and selling. Traded off my AR for a Italian made 1873 Colt thats nickle and engraved that's worth probably 800.00. Now I can pick up the AR 10 I wanted anyway and get it for less than a grand. Sold the Browning 300 and Savage 06 for nice profits and ended up picking up a Rugar P85 and Marlin 22 Semi rifle off a "pawn" for 300.00. Also traded a Reloading press that really wasn't what I needed for a Taurus 45 auto. The guy threw in a few hundred rounds of Plus P rounds which I am not sure I want to run through any of my 45's so I'll probably sell that. Now I need to sell of trade off one of the other 45 auto's, don't need 3 of them.

jay0705

Lol true. I have to cut down on my buying. I got a benelli for water fowl now its time to chill a bit lol

reefraff

I am always in the market for a good deal. I've only got one gun that isn't for sale at the right price LOL! Biggest mistake I ever made was turning down the chance to buy a collection of Colt first gen single action revolvers about 10 years ago for 6 grand. I knew it was a good deal but until I did the homework I didn't know exactly how good the deal was and then it was too late.

2quills

You guys think that this 3D printing stuff is going anywhere? Apparently last year some company here in TX, printed the worlds first fully functioning hand gun and ammo if I'm not mistaken out of raw materials.
Can you imagine the criminals getting their hands on something like that?

reefraff

For a one time use the 3D stuff is very functional. Honestly I think it's going to be a game changer for criminals. Cheap guns that can't be traced. Yeah, there's no market for something like that.

2quills

I have fired one of those 3d guns. A friend of mine has a printer. They can handle two shots then are junk.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9243913/World_s_first_3D_printed_metal_gun_blows_through_50_rounds

darthtang aw

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9243913/World_s_first_3D_printed_metal_gun_blows_through_50_rounds500 thousand dollars for fifty rounds fired. What a bargain.

darthtang aw

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=skFhKtCo5aE#
I have some of these on order. They are definitely not cheap. Just waiting for them to release different calibers. So far only 9mm is available.

2quills

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=skFhKtCo5aE#
I have some of these on order. They are definitely not cheap. Just waiting for them to release different calibers. So far only 9mm is available.
Those look pretty nasty.
I think $500k was the current cost of the printer. Probably a bit out of reach for the common thug. However I can see a market there for criminal organizations to use or sell them.
We're headed towards the age of disposable weapons being manufactured in grandma's basement. Just sayin...

2quills

500k will buy a crap ton of black market guns with proven track records.
It would be tougher to match up ballistics with these. And unlike a one time purchase when the cartels foot soldiers get busted and their weapons get seized you can just print some more when it's convenient. Cuts down on guys getting busted running guns back and forth across the boarder, harder to trace and don't have to deal with inflated prices if the ATF happens to have a good year.
Have you seen some of these caches agencies have seized over the years? Most of these guys carry whatever they can get their hands on.