Hatching Brine Shrimp

We purchased a Brine Hatchery kit so we can feed them to our fish, 1st question is once they are placed into our tanks per instuctions, Whats to keep them from being immediatly pulled into the filter system thus ending the feeding before it begins & should we leave them in the container to grow a bit before adding them to the tank ? ( i have no clue ) Any help would be greatly appreciated............................Thanks, John & Sherri

I also got it, and was wondering what type/brand you got. I cant see any visible growth in mine. Did you actually see the little brine shrimp.

S

smartorl

Some people turn off the filter to feed. Newly hatched brine shrimp are the most nutritious. However, if you want to grow them out prior to feeding you can enrich the brine shrimp. If you do a search for a member named Bronco who had great tips for hatching and enriching the shrimp.
You should be able to see the hatchlings with your bare eye!

R

roxannej

Originally Posted by John & Sherri
http:///forum/post/3117723
We purchased a Brine Hatchery kit so we can feed them to our fish, 1st question is once they are placed into our tanks per instuctions, Whats to keep them from being immediatly pulled into the filter system thus ending the feeding before it begins & should we leave them in the container to grow a bit before adding them to the tank ? ( i have no clue ) Any help would be greatly appreciated............................Thanks, John & Sherri
Brine shrimp hatching is very easy. Growing them, not so much....
I don't know what kind of hatching kit you got, but when you feed the tank, you should turn off the filters and pumps. The shrimp, however, will be attracted to the light. But my fish and seahorses have no problem chasing down the newly hatched baby brine shrimp.
How do you pull the hatched shrimp out of your hatchery?
I hatch mine in 2 liter soda bottles with a hole drilled in the cap and rigid airline in the water.
When I go to feed, I turn off the air pump and allow the mixture to settle out for about 30 minutes. The shells will float to the top and the brine shrimp will congregate in the most lighted spot near the bottom. Then, I use a different piece of rigid airline with flexible airline attached to it, and siphon out the newly hatched brine shrimp. The shrimp will congregrate in an orange cloud and are easy to see this way.
If you are trying to grow them out, you'll need some kind of phytoplankton to feed the shrimp on the 2nd day. You can use live plankton or the "dead" algae pastes as foods.
Also, if growing them out, you will need a bigger container - a 5 gallon bucket is good size. Siphon the newly hatched shrimp, put them in the growout bucket with saltwater in it, put a light over it and feed the algae. You should feed them to the fish before the end of 2 weeks when they start to reproduce and lay eggs in the bucket.

We used Sally's Hatch Mix, They hatched out in about 24 hrs, The 1st batch took alot longer because we didn't have the water temp high enough, Needs to be atleast 80 deg., Our 2nd batch did GR8, We turn'd off the filter system & air pump & our smaller fish went nuts eating the Brine Shrimp, They all swam to the top ( light source ) & our black tip Sharks, Damsels, Triggers tore them up, We hope sum of them will get into the rocks & where-ever they can hide & grow, Guess we will see, We are gonna try 2 raise the next batch in a bucket so as they can become of sum size for the big'r fish/eels can feast upon them, Thanks for all the feed back....................John & Sherri