Hate Crime question

olemiss

One of my friends last week had a little too much to drink and allegedly keyed a police car. He was charged with a HATE CRIME because "he chose the police car over other cars in the lot". Granted it was a dumb thing to do but a hate crime is a felony and this charge will royally f his life up. The consensus on the local radio show was that it is a bs charge but this is a pretty conservative town. Wondering what y'alls opinion is?

reefraff

Pretty dumb but then again I think the whole "hate crimes" thing is stupid to begin with. Crime is crime. Motivation should only come into play as far as determining if the person gets the minimum or maximum sentence.

uneverno

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3083403
Pretty dumb but then again I think the whole "hate crimes" thing is stupid to begin with. Crime is crime. Motivation should only come into play as far as determining if the person gets the minimum or maximum sentence.
Agreed.

tangman99

I could see it being put on him because he picked out the car because it was a police car. Would he have keyed a car at all if the police car wasn't there? I am guessing no, so he did it because it was a police car and shows a prejudice or "hate" of the police. Not saying I agree with it or would have charged him with it myself back in the day. Drinking in no way is an excuse though. I've have been and have been around a lot of really drunk people who would do things you wouldn't believe and I don't think any of them would do something that stupid.

loopy101

it sounds like a b.s. charge. but to prove that it was a hate crime they will have to prove that he hates the police and pending on his past this wont be easy for the D.A. to do. the D.A. will have to prove it was not just some random stupid thing a guy that had a few to many did. so more then likely he should be able to plead this down to some misdimeaner....

aquaknight

Was the car just keyed or was there something written? Obviously something nasty etched in could easily be consider a hate crime.

crypt keeper

Your friend is a moron. I used to get tanked a lot when in school and after our college football games. I played. Anyway. Yes it's a bs charge. But the man will f up your day for acting like a donkey. They should lower the charges slap his tail in AA make him pay for the damages and spend 2 days in jail. Teach his stupid butt a lesson

mantisman51

The 14th amendment guarantees equal justice for all-victim and criminal. Hate crime laws make some victims more important than others-it is unConstitutional.

tangman99

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3083421
Was the car just keyed or was there something written? Obviously something nasty etched in could easily be consider a hate crime.
That's a good question as that could make a difference. If he lawyers up, it's most likely he can plea it down. It's going to cost him plenty though. Oh, and I do have to agree that hate crimes are a crock of bs.

reefraff

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3083422
Your friend is a moron. I used to get tanked a lot when in school and after our college football games. I played. Anyway. Yes it's a bs charge. But the man will f up your day for acting like a donkey. They should lower the charges slap his tail in AA make him pay for the damages and spend 2 days in jail. Teach his stupid butt a lesson
I wouldn't waste a jail cell on the guy. Let him spend his weekends washing police cars for the next couple months.