have no clue

barchtruong

I really need to get this blur cleared up quickly on how to setup a complete sys for a 150g DT with sump and refug without any major redo.
Having said that, could you all please cast your votes on which method is better:
1. Hang on back over flow box with the sump and refuge underneath the DT
2. drill hole(s) on the bottom corner(s) of the DT.
3. anything other than 1 and 2 that I haven't read about that I should be reading on about.
Also, I don't understand this science here, hopefully someone can help me answering this. Say if you have a hang on back over flow, or the U tube over flow, how do you really get the water to pushed over the DT level to dump the water into the sump without any mechanical help (like a pump or something)? Because gravity only pull things down naturally, but not upward. I guess I don't know what I am talking about. But yeah, if you all can help explaining that to me, that is really awesome, thank you very much.
BT

natclanwy

Drilling your tank would be the best option if you feel comfortable drilling it yourself or can find someone to drill it for you.
HOB overflows are a good option and can be very reliable as long as you use a U-tube style overflow, size your return pump correctly and keep on the maintenance.
HOB overflows work by using a siphon to pull the water over the side of the tank, and they are designed so that when the return pump is shut off it will keep the ends of the U-tube submerged so the siphon is not broken and will restart as soon as the return pump is turned back on.

barchtruong

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/2798884
Drilling your tank would be the best option if you feel comfortable drilling it yourself or can find someone to drill it for you.
HOB overflows are a good option and can be very reliable as long as you use a U-tube style overflow, size your return pump correctly and keep on the maintenance.
HOB overflows work by using a siphon to pull the water over the side of the tank, and they are designed so that when the return pump is shut off it will keep the ends of the U-tube submerged so the siphon is not broken and will restart as soon as the return pump is turned back on.
wow, awesome, I thought my questions are out of reach. I chatted with a guy local and I sorta get the idea of how the overflow boxes work. But the U tube...I will make a trip to the fish store tomorrow and ask them a few things about it. Thank you for your comments.