have you ever seen this?

dattong

I got this starfish today and I have no clue what its scientific name is. So please tell me if you know anything about it. The LFS told me it's reef safe

michaeltx

looks or feather star. .
Comanthina nobilis
is the one that comes close by photo looks.
very very difficult and I would really consider taking it back to the LFS because most if not all of our hobby tanks are not suited to keep these guys. and either the feather star like this one or basket star is a deffinate casulity but I cant remember which if you do a search on both Feather star and Basket star you will get some more reading.
IMO
Mike

dattong

Thanks Mike, so the LFS is rite about it eating detritus and coral food, but they told me that if I fed my coral often then I didn't have to worry about it being starved. So I guess Im gonna keep it. Here's what I found on the net:
Crinoids, above left (pic), also known as "feather stars" or comatulids are harmless, colorful creatures. They are among the most ancient and primitive of ocean invertebrates. Crinoids are Echinoderms (members of the Phylum Echinodermata, meaning "spiny skin"). To feed, they extend their arms to catch bits of plankton or detritus (waste matter) passing in the current, making them "suspension feeders". Tiny fingerlike tube feet that line the featherlike arms flick passing bits of plankton into special food gutters that run along the center of each arm; microscopic cilia carry the food along the gutter floors to the mouth. The number of arms a Crinoid has varies widely between species; some may have as many as 200, each up to almost 14 inches in length. Crinoids are distinguished from other echinoderms by the fact that their mouth is pointed upward, unlike their starfish cousins. There are nearly 550 species of comatulid crinoids worldwide.
Strictly speaking the creatures featured here are comatulids, members of the Class Crinoidea, along with sea lilies (similar to comatulids but with long stalks). Collectively, comatulid crinoids and sea lilies are referred to as crinoids, since they are both members of the Class Crinoidea. Here, as in the somewhat non-scientific SCUBA diver community, comatulids are most frequently labeled simply as crinoids or "feather stars". For complete, detailed scientific information on comatulid crinoids, visit Charles Messing's Comatulid Crinoid Page.
Crinoids are usually admired by divers for their bright colors, but few pause to look closely enough to see they are host to a number of tiny commensal animals, such as shrimp, clingfish, and squat lobsters. The ability of these creatures to master the art of disguise is amazing. Personally, I enjoy the tiny creatures of the reef more than the larger, pelagic animals. From a photographer's viewpoint, these tiny creatures are often better film subjects. Though photographing many of these tiny commensals on a crinoid is like chasing a squirrel around a tree, the results are very rewarding. Often the macro photograph reveals much more detail than may be seen with the

[hr]
eye.

michaeltx

I am bumping up some post from members that have attempted them or has experience with them for ya.. I still stand by the recomendation about returning it though..
Mike

justinx

Actually, I do NOT recommend returning it to the LFS. That star has a much better chance of survival in the hands of a hobbiest than those of a LFS.
These stars have poor survivability rates in captivity, and I think that you best option is to take it to an experienced aquariust such as one found at a public aquarium or educational facilty. It is unfortunate that these stars are collected, but this ones fate was pretty much determined the minute it was removed from its natural environment. And as long as people continue to buy them, they will continue to be harvested. Its the same thing with goniopora.
Next time, do your homework BEFORE you buy.

dattong

thanks again Mike, I just probably keep it to know how long I can keep. It'll probably be the first sea animal gonna die in my reef tank, but I like to give it a try.
JustinX, I actually didn't intend to buy it when I went to the LFS. Just that it was the first time I saw such a beautiful creature and I wanted it! To tell the truth I don't really want to believe what the LFS told me about this star, but I saw he keeping one in the display tank and this LFS never tried to sell me something irresponsibly or tried to lie about it. Anywayz, I hope it's gonna be ok in my tank. I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

justinx

Originally posted by Dattong
I actually didn't intend to buy it when I went to the LFS. Just that it was the first time I saw such a beautiful creature and I wanted it! To tell the truth I don't really want to believe what the LFS told me about this star, but I saw he keeping one in the display tank and this LFS never tried to sell me something irresponsibly or tried to lie about it. Anywayz, I hope it's gonna be ok in my tank. I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

:rolleyes: anyone else want to comment on that one?:rolleyes:

michaeltx

I think you said it Best!!!
do your homework BEFORE you buy
well you got the info on it and it is your tank but you have a great resource here at this BB please use it and spare the lives of creatures that have little to no survival rate.
Mike

dattong

I would appreciate your help if any one had or has kept the feather star only please! Just tell me anything about this creature that you know with your experience, especially those who had this creature died on you.
If i return it to the LFS, some other people may buy it anyway. So its fate is determined at the monent it's taken out of the ocean. But I try my best to prolong its life in captive.

dattong

I think I should pay for a worthy lesson and experience it on my own sometimes. At least I didn't starve my fish to death when I could feed it like someone did and of course I'm not gonna take any advice from that person. If you wanna save a life from the ocean just stop buying from now on please!
Once again I'd like to hear your experience on this creature! not something other than that. Thank you!

michaeltx

here is the main point that is being made.
there are some creatures that have a very hardy ability to adapt to the home tanks but there are some that should just be left in the ocean. there is to little known about some of them their feeding habits thier diet their movement across the ocean. when take these guys from the ocean to a certain death in a tank then I think we need to revisit why we got into the hobby. I have search the 4 boards that I am a memeber at and found no one posting that theyhave been able to keep them long term. the most I have seen was 6 or 7 months I think,
when you are part of a board and come on and ask a quiestion about a creature that will likely die in a home tank no matter what you do and then respond with a statment ---
I think I should pay for a worthy lesson and experience it on my own sometimes. At least I didn't starve my fish to death when I could feed it like someone did. If you wanna save a life from the ocean just stop buying from now on please
what about the critter alot of people have this mind set so these creatures that are certainly doomed or just isnt sutable for a tank are being bought and takin out of the ocean just to die.. and because people keep buying without researching first the LFS keep ordering them for more people to buy and so on and so on and so on.
I am not trying to be rude or arogant or anything like that but if you had read that the mortality rate of this creature is almost if not 100% in the home tanks would you have gotten it then??
maybe ophioura can add more to it but I can tell you that its not going to be a good prognosise for the star!
most likely the only thing that is going to give the star even a slim chance is to go to a aqurium that has 1000's of gallons in their system.
Mike

dattong

yep thanks Mike, I read the 2 posts that you pumped for me earlier and it's a sad thing to hear that it's impossible to keep one. You're rite about I wouldn't have gotten it if I knew it would die in captive. Yes this board has helped and given me alot helpful info about the hobby and I used it as reference plus my own choice. Anyway, I bought it already and I wanna keep it. I wouldn't say I'm gonna be able to keep it. But my point is: who knows? Maybe I'd fail when I tried, but there must be someone else will have success keeping it later on. Wasn't that cloning impossible long ago? No pain, no gain
I don't discard info from you guys, believe me I love this board very much, just don't get me wrong. I'm relatively new to reef and my 100g reef has been doing very well because I've applied the info from this board (whatever makes sense to me) plus my own tries.
I really don't wanna post question later on because of such thing like "are you responsible?". Ask those who ask this question "Are they?" No harsh aim on you Mike, just a thought. Once again I appreciate your help

justinx

Originally posted by Dattong
If you wanna save a life from the ocean just stop buying from now on please!

This is my last comment on this thread . . . . and you pretty much made it for me. Seriously, think about what you previously said here and then ask yourself regarding this situation. . . "have i done the right thing here?" I hope that the answer is no.
This is not the first instance of you asking for advise/help and then completely disregarding all info recieved except for that which you wish to hear. Why bother asking questions if you are not willing to listen to the entire answer. I am willing to bet that if someone came on here and said "I have kept a feather star for years in my 5 gallon nano!" you would only see that post and consider it universal.
I hear so many people complain about the expense of this hobby, and the reason that things cost so much is because of people like you buying anything and everything because "it looks pretty" Go buy a blue ring octopus, they look REALLY pretty! Make sure you hand feed it . . . . . :rolleyes:

entice59

Dattong, if you have a digital camera, take it to the LFS with you and take a picture of what you plan to get, do some research and such ask people on the board. If the LFS wont let you do it, then dont buy from them again because something is obviously wrong that they dont want you to see or report. I always bring my digital camera with me when i go to the LFS, i swear i cant even remember how it exaclty looks like when i nothing to compare it to. :p

timo

Hey! Take it easy on him!
He's got the damn thing and he wants to tend to it.
Asking at this forum should be the best thing one can do. Respect that, at least.
We've all bought first, asked later.
:p
Keepin it real

dattong

Originally posted by entice59
Dattong, if you have a digital camera, take it to the LFS with you and take a picture of what you plan to get, do some research and such ask people on the board. If the LFS wont let you do it, then dont buy from them again because something is obviously wrong that they dont want you to see or report. I always bring my digital camera with me when i go to the LFS, i swear i cant even remember how it exaclty looks like when i nothing to compare it to. :p

good advice Entice59! Never thought of that.
TimO, someone not only bought first, asked later but even starved the fish to death by not feeding it just because he didn't want his water's quality turn bad. Now that one blah, blah about " ask yourself: am I doing this right?" or "r u responsible?" that's really funny. But oh well, I'll just keep it off my ears.

Can you guys stop badgering the guy! Just give him the advice and info he seeks, that's what this board is for.... not for all the repetitive "you don't know what you are doing" comments.
More people than you think buy things they see for the first time. They want to be the first to have it, or "it must be rare, I gotta have it". Inevitable... :p
JustinX: that was just not nice bro.
A friend of mine recently aquired a feather starfish and I am on here to obtain care information for him. Care information...

lesa

Ophioursa will be able to help you, but she will give you the same advice, So don't take it the wrong way.
Everyone has good intentions on helping;)

michaeltx

the problem is that the advice given is not what people want to hear. the stars in question FEATHER and BASKET stars one has a 0 chance of survival and the other very slim there isnt enough that is known about them for them to stay alive more than a few months. can you try to YES but the outlook for them unless you have a huge tank that is very mature is very very slim they will probably last only a couple of months before there health starts to dwendle.
but bubbagump if you do a search on the board and look and what little info is actually available and do a search on the net you will find very little like I said there isnt enough info on them.
look for FEATHER or BASKET STAR. you will only get a handful of threads from it though.
Can you guys stop badgering the guy! Just give him the advice and info he seeks, that's what this board is for.... not for all the repetitive "you don't know what you are doing" comments.
as far as this the board yes it is for inforamtion the only thing is there really info isnt there other than the trys that have happened and I have read no where on any board where people have been sucessful at keeping them. next question is why are they being sold well because the look kewl and people will buy them and not know that it is a very dismal outlook for the critter.
Mike
BTW not trying to be rude crude or anything like that just trying to say why things get heated over something like this. and am really not trying to be a butt about anything LOL