have you used your brain today?

alix2.0

found these online. didnt brain them myself. some are a lot easier than others.
There is a man who lives on the top floor of a very tall building. Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to work. Upon returning from work though, he can only travel half way up in the lift and has to walk the rest of the way unless it's raining! Why?
A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dies on the scene, but the child is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives the surgeon says, "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How can this be?
A man is wearing black. Black shoes, socks, trousers, jumper, gloves and balaclava. He is walking down a black street with all the street lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its light off but somehow manages to stop in time. How did the driver see the man?
One day Kerry celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday. How?
Why is it better to have round manhole covers than square ones? This is logical rather than lateral, but it is a good puzzle that can be solved by lateral thinking techniques. It is supposedly used by a very well-known software company as an interview question for prospective employees.
A man went to a party and drank some of the punch. He then left early. Everyone else at the party who drank the punch subsequently died of poisoning. Why did the man not die?
A man died and went to Heaven. There were thousands of other people there. They were all

[hr]
and all looked as they did at the age of 21. He looked around to see if there was anyone he recognized. He saw a couple and he knew immediately that they were Adam and Eve. How did he know?
A woman had two sons who were born on the same hour of the same day of the same year. But they were not twins. How could this be so?
A man walks into a bar and asks the barman for a glass of water. The barman pulls out a gun and points it at the man. The man says 'Thank you' and walks out.
A man without eyes sees plums on a tree. He neither takes plums nor leaves plums. How can this be?
Jack and Jill are found dead, lying on the floor in the living room of a house, in a puddle of water. How did they die?
A man is found dead in an empty field with a pack strapped to his back. How did he die?
A man is found hanging in a completely empty warehouse high off the ground. How did the man manage to hang himself.
A frog is dead in the centre of a pond, surrounded by ten feet of water on all directions. How can the frog get to land?
You have three lights in a box, each of which is connected to a switch outside the box. The box is closed. You need to figure out which switch to corresponds to which light and you can open the box only once (and you can't manipulate the switches after you open the box). How do you do this?
A pot of gold is on a square island surrounded by a chasm 10 metres wide and of infinite depth. You have two 9.8 metre poles. How do you get across to the pot of gold and get back with it.
Mel Colly stared through the dirty soot-smeared window on the 26th floor of the office tower. Overcome with depression he slid the window open and jumped through it. It was a sheer drop outside the building to the ground. Miraculously after he landed he was completely unhurt. Since there was nothing to cushion his fall or slow his descent, how could he have survived?
A man is hiking up a snowy mountain, he comes across a cabin. Inside the cabin is a small fire and two dead men. How did they die? (They did not burn to death.)
Three guys walk into a hotel, and they're going to split the cost of a room. The room is $30. They each kick in $10 and head up to their room. The manager gets wind of it and tells the clerk the room is only $25. He hands five $1 bills to the bell hop and tells him to go refund the guys' money. On the way up to the room, the bell hop gets to thinking, as bell hops are wont to do, and says to himself, "No way can three guys split $5, I'm going to help out." He stuffs $2 in his pocket, knocks on the door, gives each guy back a buck and heads back downstairs to the desk, glowing in the warmth of a job well done. So now each guy has paid $9. $9 times 3 is $27 plus the two the bell hop stole--only $29! Where is the other buck?

alix2.0

this one wouldn't fit-
Three guys walk into a hotel, and they're going to split the cost of a room. The room is $30. They each kick in $10 and head up to their room. The manager gets wind of it and tells the clerk the room is only $25. He hands five $1 bills to the bell hop and tells him to go refund the guys' money. On the way up to the room, the bell hop gets to thinking, as bell hops are wont to do, and says to himself, "No way can three guys split $5, I'm going to help out." He stuffs $2 in his pocket, knocks on the door, gives each guy back a buck and heads back downstairs to the desk, glowing in the warmth of a job well done. So now each guy has paid $9. $9 times 3 is $27 plus the two the bell hop stole--only $29! Where is the other buck?

camfish

I skimmed. Adam and Eve didn't have belly buttons, the man in black had a flashlight, I know more...but I wanted to answer the hotel one.

the three guys spent 9 dollars...so the cashier has 27...because 25 in the register and 2 in his/her pocket and each guy has a dollar because 10-9=1. 27+1+1+1=30. You added the 2...instead of 3.

You have three lights in a box, each of which is connected to a switch outside the box. The box is closed. You need to figure out which switch to corresponds to which light and you can open the box only once (and you can't manipulate the switches after you open the box). How do you do this?
turn the first switch on. leave it on for a while... turn off the first .
turn the second one on.
look in the box.
if light is on then it is switch two . if the bulb is off touch the bulb . if it is hot then it is switch one . if cool then switch three..

A man is hiking up a snowy mountain, he comes across a cabin. Inside the cabin is a small fire and two dead men. How did they die? (They did not burn to death.)
air plane cabin..... ( crash )
i can keep going on but ill give others a chance

okay one more..
There is a man who lives on the top floor of a very tall building. Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to work. Upon returning from work though, he can only travel half way up in the lift and has to walk the rest of the way unless it's raining! Why?
he is a midget. close to the ground so he can push the lower floors. on rainy days he uses the umbrella to push the top floor when normally he cant so he has to take the stairs from what ever floor he can reach with out it...
yeah something like that

majormaz

Originally Posted by camfish
http:///forum/post/2903716
I skimmed. Adam and Eve didn't have belly buttons, the man in black had a flashlight, I know more...but I wanted to answer the hotel one.

the three guys spent 9 dollars...so the cashier has 27...because 25 in the register and 2 in his/her pocket and each guy has a dollar because 10-9=1. 27+1+1+1=30. You added the 2...instead of 3.

I don't think your answer for the man with the black hat is correct. The driver avoided the man because it was daylight.

renogaw

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/2903703
no clue
A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dies on the scene, but the child is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives the surgeon says, "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How can this be?
it's his mother
A man is wearing black. Black shoes, socks, trousers, jumper, gloves and balaclava. He is walking down a black street with all the street lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its light off but somehow manages to stop in time. How did the driver see the man?
it's day time
One day Kerry celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday. How?
terry has a twin that is not kerry
Why is it better to have round manhole covers than square ones? This is logical rather than lateral, but it is a good puzzle that can be solved by lateral thinking techniques. It is supposedly used by a very well-known software company as an interview question for prospective employees.
cause square covers can drop in if at an angle, where round ones cannot
A man went to a party and drank some of the punch. He then left early. Everyone else at the party who drank the punch subsequently died of poisoning. Why did the man not die?
he drank the punch before the poison was put in it
A man died and went to Heaven. There were thousands of other people there. They were all

[hr]
and all looked as they did at the age of 21. He looked around to see if there was anyone he recognized. He saw a couple and he knew immediately that they were Adam and Eve. How did he know?
no belly buttons
A woman had two sons who were born on the same hour of the same day of the same year. But they were not twins. How could this be so?
no clue
A man walks into a bar and asks the barman for a glass of water. The barman pulls out a gun and points it at the man. The man says 'Thank you' and walks out.
no clue
A man without eyes sees plums on a tree. He neither takes plums nor leaves plums. How can this be?
Jack and Jill are found dead, lying on the floor in the living room of a house, in a puddle of water. How did they die?
A man is found dead in an empty field with a pack strapped to his back. How did he die?
A man is found hanging in a completely empty warehouse high off the ground. How did the man manage to hang himself.
A frog is dead in the centre of a pond, surrounded by ten feet of water on all directions. How can the frog get to land?
A pot of gold is on a square island surrounded by a chasm 10 metres wide and of infinite depth. You have two 9.8 metre poles. How do you get across to the pot of gold and get back with it.
put one pole across one of the corners, then put the other pole on that pole towards the pot of gold
Mel Colly stared through the dirty soot-smeared window on the 26th floor of the office tower. Overcome with depression he slid the window open and jumped through it. It was a sheer drop outside the building to the ground. Miraculously after he landed he was completely unhurt. Since there was nothing to cushion his fall or slow his descent, how could he have survived?

answered some that arent already answerd

aquaknight

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/2903703
Kerry was born February 28 on a non-leap, and Terry, March 1. Apparently they are celebrating on a leap year.