Haven't seen flame angel eat in 2 weeks!

kb

I have a flame angel that ate 2 pellets the first or second day I got him and I haven't seen him eat since. Is he getting food off the bottom or algae? He swims around alot but he won't eat when I feed the fish. What can I do or what should I try?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
He should be eating and angels do like to eat and they usually aren't shy about it either. Make a close observation of the fish and his behavior. You say he is swimming around alot. Some fish dart and swim alot when they are ill. Look at his scales, breathing and specific tank behavior. Is he being harrassed or are there other too aggressive fish that aren't letting him get his share of the chow? Take a day or 2 to observe him. Also, if you haven't already, offer him other foods that you haven't offerred. Some fish are picky eathers! What are you offering in the way of food? Oh, and a word on "observing" fish, especially when you are trying to check out appearance and behavior....try to look without being seen. LOL In other words, you can't check out the fish's behavior if his behavior changes because he is nervous about you looking at him.

kb

It's 3 weeks now and I still haven't seen my flame angel eat. Some of the tangs I have do bother him but when he comes out he still swims around the tank. He just isn't interested in eating at all,but he must be getting some food or he would be dead. If the fish starts to get popeye what should I do(just asking because I had a flame angel before that got popeye and died!). Thanks for any help!

W

wrassefan

You should try feeding the flame live brine or dried algae on a lettuce clip. The tangs will love it also but this should get the flame going.
As for "Popeye" disease. I had it on a angel once and I treated it in a hospital tank. I used Maracyn II (according to the directions) and used a vitamin supplement in its food and in the water. Temp was around 78degrees. Within a week, the popeye had receeded. The disease is a vitamin deficiency in its diet.
Hope this helps.