Having Problems, Need Help

supalupa

Did you ever get that refractometer? I think salinity is my problem. I use a hydrometer and keep my salinity at 1.025. I put one of those floating temp/hydrometers in my tank to check the temp against my stick on thermometer and the temp was 80 but the salinity was only 1.021. WOW! I'm lucky my other corals are doing so well. I will be raising my salinity with top of water until I get it where it should be. No wonder my tangs never got ick! I think I will be buying a refractometer pronto.

lubeck

I agree with the getting a refractometer. I got one 6 months ago, thought my sg was 1.025, refractometer read 1.020

mudplayerx

I definately need to get a refractometer but it is going to have to wait. I just dropped $400 on the tank and I can't afford to spend anymore for awhile. In the meantime I'll just have to keep bringing my hydrometer to the science building and having it calibrated. Maybe I'll steal one of the ones from the lab someday (JOKING!) :hilarious

pandafish

I'm new to all of this but I was under the impression that Distilled water had metals in it that were a big no no. Just a thought hope it all works out.

pandafish

use RO water 90% of the time and distilled water when I'm too lazy to carry the empty jugs to the store. I'll try doing larger water changes for a month and see where that takes me.
I'm new to all of this but I was under the impression that Distilled water had metals in it that were a big no no. Just a thought hope it all works out.