having trouble with xenia? try this....

keitho

a couple of months ago, my wife bought me a group of pulsating xenia. to my dismay, within a couple of days, the xenia stopped pulsating and within two weeks, it died :( anyway, i had read (and was told) that xenia like intense lighting and moderate to high water flow. well, i followed those recommendations only to have my xenia die. recently, i decided to try again on a grouping of cultured xenia that had overgrown my LFSs display tank. besides being cheap, i figured it was hardy. well, i placed it in my tank and sure enough, within a couple of days, the pulsating slowed down. i noticed that they seemed to pulsate a lot more frequently when only the actinics (not the halides), were on. well, i moved the colony to a shadier spot and the pulsations have increased 5 to 10 times. seeing as how all measureable water conditions have not changed, i attribute the flurry of activity to moderate water flow and moderate light intensity. anyway, if your xenia is having problems, maybe you can see if this will work for you as well. for what it's worth... :) hope this helps...

ironreef

mine grows faster under haldies but ime it grows best under high alk/ph reguardless of the lighting. I have some in my garga in rumbermainds under no lighting ,it doesn't pulse fast but it won't die, personally I hate the stuff. spreads to fast

maury

I ahve VHO's on my tank, and put a rock with 3 stalks in my tank two months ago. That are is now INFESTED with Xenia, about a 1 foot square area. I will have to get in there with the weedeater soon. ;)

IronReef send some of the unwanted xenia this way. I love it but my first crop died and I figured it was to expensive to keep dying on me.
Adam

burnnspy

Thats curious, I have Xenia elongata and mine have only spread a little.
Since my tank is only 29gal, its a blessing. I have a constant 8.3 pH and alkalinity 3.0me/l or higher and they just chill out.
When it was damaged and dropped off most of its polyp heads, I kept 2 of them and now they have completely grown into a new colony!
My xenia grow in size but rarely extend the colony, I have no clue why but so far its a good thing because they are healthy and pulsing.
BurnNSpy